Has Anyone Used Choco-Pan Fondant?

Decorating By PeggyMichel Updated 6 Oct 2013 , 8:12pm by srwepruk

PeggyMichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeggyMichel Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 7

I need a lot of chocolate fondant to cover a large wedding cake. Is Choco-pan fondant a good product?

6 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 7

I've used it a few times. It takes a lot of kneeding but the taste is well worth it.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 7

I just bought some when I was in Indiana. There are a few people on here who use it a lot. Because it has a chocolate in it, it tends to be softer and more heat sensitive. So you need to work with it a bit to get used to it and if it's too soft, I was told to wrap it well and stick it in the fridge for about 10 minutes and then re-knead. I also think that you're supposed to roll it out specifically on powdered sugar , not cornstarch or shortening. At least that was the advice i was given. Oh and DON'T microwave it... apparently bad things may happen if you over do it.

My plan is to do a small practice cake with it before I do my big cakeicon_smile.gif It's not easy to find here so I have to be sure not to waste iticon_smile.gif

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 7

I have used it a few times. You can microwave it, but in VERY small incriments. Like 5 sec, otherwise you the choclate will seperate. I have also used cornstarch with no ill affects. Just a touch though. Also, use shortening if need be, it makes it more pliable (spelling?). It is easy to work with but dries fast, so make sure to keep it covered.
I may also add that it can be tricky. I've seen people with no problems and then I have had others with a hard time. I guess the same thing could be said with regular fondant too.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 7

I found it to be very yummy however I had a hard time working with it because it was soft and stretched when I picked it up to cover the cake. It also stuck when I cut out circles to use on cookies but with them being smaller I could stick it in the freezer for a few minutes so it would firm up.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 7

sillywabbitz is right about the p.sugar..... I got that straight from the lady who invented choco-pan (which was invented and is made right here in Indy!).

Here's a prev thread on the topic: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-660390-chocopan.html

srwepruk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srwepruk Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 7

A[SIZE=3][/SIZE] I used it for the first time this weekend and it was a nightmare for me. The venue kitchen was VERY cold (like maybe 50 degrees) and I could not work with it at all - kept breaking apart. Tried kneeling, warming up on top of oven, microwaving, everything I could think of. Finally gave up and used my mm fondant which was great. Wanted this wedding cake to be special, it was, :(just not with my gourmet chocolate fondant as anticipated. Bought 2 containers so will definitely try again.:(:(

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%