Help I Have A Question And I Need An Answer

Decorating By learningtodecorate Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 5:34pm by learningtodecorate

learningtodecorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learningtodecorate Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a cake for my daughter 8th grade graduation dinner that is outdoors, at a park, what kind of frosting should I use, because the weather is going to be between 83-86 degree's. Will fondant hold up, the cake will be inside a netted tent. Or should I do buttercream.

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 7

Fondant holds up better in heat than does buttercream.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 7

I would go with fondant just to be on the safe side. It will withstand heat much better than buttercream.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 7

I've heard reports around here that there is a buttercream recipe that holds up to the heat. That has not been my experience. But fondant will hold up rather well for a short period of time. Keep it in A/C for as long as possible before bringing it out to the heat. It may still be very soft for cutting so be prepared. Basically, cakes have no business being out in the outdoors in summer so keep them inside a more climate controlled area whenever you can.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 7

Indydebi's BC is great in the heat. Here's the link:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

k_boroff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k_boroff Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 7

If I know its going to be hot and I plan on using buttercream, I have froze the whole cake then it will thaw as it sits out.

learningtodecorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learningtodecorate Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 7

thank's everyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%