Decorating With Betty Crocker Icing?

Baking By Shalott Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm by Herekittykitty

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 24

It seems like no matter which icing recipe I use, my buttercream ends up tasting like shortening and icing sugar (gross, in my opinion). Maybe it's the brands I'm using, I don't know. I'm making some cupcakes this weekend for a church event and I'm sorely tempted to try my hand at decorating them using Betty Crocker icing. Is this even possible? The stuff's incredibly stiff straight out of the can, so I know I'd have to alter its consistency somewhat, but it tastes so good! I plan to attempt buttercream hydrangeas ala SeriousCakes.

23 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 24

I doubt that it will work straight out of the can but you could probably add powdered sugar to make it suitable for piping.

I use Indydebi's recipe and that stuff is awesome. I don't know what recipe you're using but her recipe only uses 1 1/3 cup of crisco to 2 pounds of powdered sugar. I also use crisco rather than the cheap stuff. I beat/cream my crisco for about 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients when making her buttercream. It makes the icing creamier and I've actually had people to ask me IF I use shortening in my icing.

Shalott Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 24

OK, maybe I'll try creaming the crisco longer. The last recipe I tried was Indydebi's, and it didn't turn out the way I expected given everything I'd heard about it. It looked fine and I was able to work with it well but. . .it tasted like shortening and powdered sugar! I was using crisco, but my husband picked up the powdered sugar for me and it honestly wasn't the greatest.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 24

Add a pinch of salt or a tsp of flour to your recipe. Either one will cut the sweetness of the sugar.

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I doubt that it will work straight out of the can but you could probably add powdered sugar to make it suitable for piping.

I use Indydebi's recipe and that stuff is awesome. I don't know what recipe you're using but her recipe only uses 1 1/3 cup of crisco to 2 pounds of powdered sugar. I also use crisco rather than the cheap stuff. I beat/cream my crisco for about 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients when making her buttercream. It makes the icing creamier and I've actually had people to ask me IF I use shortening in my icing.

Ditto on Indydebi's recipe!!! it is Fantastic. I also use about a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of butter flavoring you can't taste the shortening.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 24

yep, i agree with the previous poster.

i add a pinch of salt to my BC and it def. helps cut the sweetness. HTH

mamawrobin Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalott

OK, maybe I'll try creaming the crisco longer. The last recipe I tried was Indydebi's, and it didn't turn out the way I expected given everything I'd heard about it. It looked fine and I was able to work with it well but. . .it tasted like shortening and powdered sugar! I was using crisco, but my husband picked up the powdered sugar for me and it honestly wasn't the greatest.

Also SIFT your powdered sugar. It does make a difference. thumbs_up.gif

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 24

Depending on what I am making, I often substitute half the Crisco for butter. Lately tho I am loving SMBC so using that whenever I can.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 24

Instead of making criscocream or trying to use canned icing (which just won't work for decorating, btw), why not make real buttercream, as in icing that actually contains butter? I used IMBC for my cakes.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 24

I used canned frosting in a piping bag just last month to decorate cupcakes. It was stiff out of the can, but softened after started using it and worked fine on top of cupcakes. I used a 1M tip and made rose swirls on top. Unfortunately I can't find a photo right now.

I'm afraid I haven't seen Seriouscakes hydrangas, so I can't help with that. But the frosting does get softer with use.

I also agree that making your own would be better. If anything it would certainly taste better.

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 24

In her book "creative cakes anyone can make", Jill Foster uses this recipe:

White Wonder Cream Frosting
1 tub store-bought white or vanilla frosting (not the whipped kind)
1 tub (16 oz) Chrisco shortening (use tub from frosting to measure)
1 lb powdered sugar
warm water

combine the tubs of frosting and shortening into a mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until well mixed. Slowly add powdered sugar. Add a small amount of warm water until the mixture is smooth. Beat for an additional minute after all ingredients are mixed together.

for chocolate, add 1 cup cocoa powder and 1/4 cup vegetable oil, and additional powdered sugar as needed for the firmness desired.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 24

I'm with prterrell what about good old fashion BUTTER!!!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 24

I'd use an icing either butter based or half-butter based to frost the cakes.

Then for flowers, use what ever crisco-based icing (or better yet....straight-gumpaste) that works for you.

It's the base icing that you need to worry about most. People can take the decorations off if they don't like the taste.

I use white chocolate IMBC for my base icing on most cakes. If I HAVE to do icing flowers that have to really hold up, I use a Crisco based decorating icing. The choco flowers in my pics on the two heart cakes are straight from the can...but the base icing is choco IMBC.

Shalott Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:17am
post #14 of 24

Thanks for all the insight! I think I might try IMBC, although I'm rather nervous. This isn't a case of making a base icing and then using something different (e.g. gumpaste) for the decorations because I just plan on piping bc hydrangeas directly onto the cupcakes -- like piping a swirl onto cupcakes, just in this case, hydrangeas.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:10am
post #15 of 24

test

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:13am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

I use white chocolate IMBC for my base icing on most cakes. If I HAVE to do icing flowers that have to really hold up, I use a Crisco based decorating icing. The choco flowers in my pics on the two heart cakes are straight from the can...but the base icing is choco IMBC.

Can you please post recipe? TY

LindaF144a Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalott

Thanks for all the insight! I think I might try IMBC, although I'm rather nervous. This isn't a case of making a base icing and then using something different (e.g. gumpaste) for the decorations because I just plan on piping bc hydrangeas directly onto the cupcakes -- like piping a swirl onto cupcakes, just in this case, hydrangeas.

If IMBC makes you nervous, try SMBC. With SMBC you are starting with the eggs and sugar cooked together and don't add it to a running mixer. And SMBC will pipe just as nice as IMBC. I have piped with SMBC and it worked fine. I use it all the time for cupcakes. All the cupcake photos are used with SMBC, with the exception of the pirate cupcakes that was AMBC.
Good luck. You will love the taste of IMBC, SMBC and AMBC over canned.

Shalott Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

If IMBC makes you nervous, try SMBC. With SMBC you are starting with the eggs and sugar cooked together and don't add it to a running mixer. And SMBC will pipe just as nice as IMBC. I have piped with SMBC and it worked fine. I use it all the time for cupcakes. All the cupcake photos are used with SMBC, with the exception of the pirate cupcakes that was AMBC.
Good luck. You will love the taste of IMBC, SMBC and AMBC over canned.

Now I'm conflicted -- IMBC or SMBC?! I don't have a standing mixer or one with a whip attachment, so I'm just going to have to use my hand mixer for whatever I do. I think I'll take a close look at both recipes and decide which one seems most doable because they both sound delicious! AMBC is just regular buttercream, right? I have to confess that I've never liked the stuff, not even when I was little. Maybe that's why I can never get it so that it pleases me.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:09pm
post #19 of 24

NO WAY in h#$$ would I attempt to make SMBC or IMBC without a stand mixer. icon_lol.gif I don't even use a hand mixer for my crusting buttercream. I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and I beat it for at least 30-35 minutes total.

I cannot imagine making any of these icings without a stand mixer icon_eek.gif No wonder you like canned icing
thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

NO WAY in h#$$ would I attempt to make SMBC or IMBC without a stand mixer. icon_lol.gif I don't even use a hand mixer for my crusting buttercream. I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and I beat it for at least 30-35 minutes total.

I cannot imagine making any of these icings without a stand mixer icon_eek.gif No wonder you like canned icing
thumbs_up.gif

I give a big second to what mamwrobin said. About the only kind of frosting I would attempt with a hand mixer is AMBC and even then it would drive me nuts having to put down the mixer to gradually pour in the powdered sugar.

I guess this is the first question we should have asked. Your arms would be so tired at the end of making either SMBC or IMBC or Indydebi's that you would swear off scratch frosting forever. And you would have to mix at a higher speed than for a stand mixer.

Drats! There is a frosting that you actually mix with a hand mixer with the ingredients over a double boiler pan at the stove. But right now I can't think of the name or where the recipe exists. It might be what is usually called 7-minute frosting, but I am going by memory. Maybe someone else will remember.

Shalott Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

I guess this is the first question we should have asked. Your arms would be so tired at the end of making either SMBC or IMBC or Indydebi's that you would swear off scratch frosting forever. And you would have to mix at a higher speed than for a stand mixer.

Drats! There is a frosting that you actually mix with a hand mixer with the ingredients over a double boiler pan at the stove. But right now I can't think of the name or where the recipe exists. It might be what is usually called 7-minute frosting, but I am going by memory. Maybe someone else will remember.

I've read of other people making IMBC with a hand-held mixer, and it's apparently possible, although tiring. When I was little and used to make cakes we didn't have an electric mixer and used to do everything with a hand-cranked one -- THAT was tiring! As for seven minute frosting, my mum used to make it. It tastes good, but crusts quite hard and would, I imagine, be impossible to pipe.

LindaF144a Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm
post #22 of 24

Then it must not be the 7-minute frosting. If I find it, I'll post it. I'm not even too sure where I read it. icon_confused.gif

I guess I'm spoiled with my KA. I did used to make cake mixes using a hand held electric mixer. But that was from a mix. It was easy when all you had to do is throw everything in a bowl and hold it for two minutes. But with a hand crank one? No. Thank goodness for technology! icon_wink.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:40pm
post #23 of 24

What about using a whipped ganache? You don't have to whip it that very much to get a good effect, and the taste will still be better than something out of a can ... the texture of it won't be "crisco-y" at all.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm
post #24 of 24

This is a basic BC that I use for cookies and well everything. It doesn't hold up in extreme heat but 50/50 makes it more stable and if it to be kept indoors in A/C works as is. At 50/50 it still doesn't taste greasy, my family is addicted to it.

You would need to double it at least, I have it scaled for cookies.

4c. Powdered Sugar
3-4 Tbs. Milk
½ c. Butter (Softened, not melted)
2 tsp. Vanilla

Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
Beat at low speed, scraping sides often until fluffy (1-2 minutes).
Add food color if desired.
Frost and decorate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%