Smoothing Buttercream...

Decorating By jesus-saves-us-7 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm by metria

jesus-saves-us-7 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

I can never get it smooth enough and was wondering if anyone had any tips for me? Please I am getting stressed. I have 2 large cakes being covered in bc and need help, TIA!!

5 replies
leily Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 6

if you're using a crusting buttercream you can use the Viva method, or my personal favorite the Melvira method (these are both tutorials in the articles section of CC)

mamawrobin Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 6

Do you mean "smooth enough" after you've iced your cake or "smooth enough" consistency?

I agree with leily on the viva method but for a "smoother" buttercream I beat/cream my Crisco for at least 15 minutes BEFORE adding any other ingredients. I also use half and half instead of milk in my icing. I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and it is really easy for me to get smooth. It crust beautifully and is very "user friendly". It also requires no refrigeratioin. thumbs_up.gif

sabiha Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 6

check out this video....using the paper towel......www.designmeacake.com........there is a video there to show how to cover with buttercream...hope it helps

cakeglitz Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 6

I also use Indydebi's buttercream recipe. It is wonderful!! I use a small foam paint brush roller after the icing has crusted to smooth it out...I've also used Viva paper towels...I prefer the paint brush roller. It works great!! Good Luck!! icon_smile.gif

metria Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%