Any Indiana Bakers Using The Home Based Vendor Law

Business By hoosierhobbyist Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 9:16pm by jillmakescakes

hoosierhobbyist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoosierhobbyist Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 15

Any fellow Hoosiers who have taken advantage of the new HEA1309 bill that allow Home Based Vendors to sell cakes at farmers markets? Just curious how business was, if you thought it was worth it and how you labeled your cakes. Thanks for any info!

14 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakes4kids

Any fellow Hoosiers who have taken advantage of the new HEA1309 bill that allow Home Based Vendors to sell cakes at farmers markets? Just curious how business was, if you thought it was worth it and how you labeled your cakes. Thanks for any info!

I'm just starting out, but so far I've got the official business stuff taken care of. Now I just need orders! icon_biggrin.gif

I do know there is at least one other member who has been selling near where I am and she seems to be doing fairly well.

mommy1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy1st Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 15

I am located in northwest Indiana. I am going to be doing a farmers market soon. If all goes well,I am hoping to see about opening a shop in the next year. I will let you know how it goes.

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 15

I'm just starting out, but so far I've got the official business stuff taken care of. Now I just need orders! icon_biggrin.gif

I do know there is at least one other member who has been selling near where I am and she seems to be doing fairly well.[/quote]

I believe you're talking about me emrldsky icon_smile.gif It's going pretty well for me at the Market, just hard to predict what I need to take each week. We are having a Strawberry Festival this weekend, so it should be good business this week. I live in central IN. Labeling is a bit strict, so if you have any questions feel free to message me. I do believe that it's worth it so long as your market isn't over saturated. I don't have a lot of competition in my area, so it's worth it for me. (only 1 bakery in my county and I've heard that's not their specialty) I have a wedding (my first one) coming up next weekend, so it will be interesting to see how that goes. I just finished another practice cake last night and I was happy with it. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

emrldsky Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmom

I believe you're talking about me emrldsky icon_smile.gif It's going pretty well for me at the Market, just hard to predict what I need to take each week. We are having a Strawberry Festival this weekend, so it should be good business this week. I live in central IN. Labeling is a bit strict, so if you have any questions feel free to message me. I do believe that it's worth it so long as your market isn't over saturated. I don't have a lot of competition in my area, so it's worth it for me. (only 1 bakery in my county and I've heard that's not their specialty) I have a wedding (my first one) coming up next weekend, so it will be interesting to see how that goes. I just finished another practice cake last night and I was happy with it. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

I believe so too! Let me know if you need help/advice on your wedding cake. I did my first (as a gift) last month, and it was interesting!!

adamsmom Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 15

Well, if it's the cherry blossom cake that's also your avatar, it's gorgeous! Great job! Thanks for offering help, I may be taking you up on that if things get crazy! lol!

cakesalone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalone Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

I'm just starting out, but so far I've got the official business stuff taken care of. Now I just need orders

Just wondering what the official business end of it was? I am just a hobby decorator, not looking to sell tons. But don't totally want to be breaking the law.

emrldsky Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesalone

Quote:
Quote:

I'm just starting out, but so far I've got the official business stuff taken care of. Now I just need orders

Just wondering what the official business end of it was? I am just a hobby decorator, not looking to sell tons. But don't totally want to be breaking the law.

Oh, I'm talking about having an official business, which helped my acquire liability insurance (A Case for Cake, LLC). Liability insurance is required by my county's farmers market, so I wanted to make sure I had that set up. icon_smile.gif I don't think it's required to actually sell at other markets, but I figured it'd be easier when tax-time came around.

Where are you located? I worked with the Indiana Small Business Development Center, which was free. I got some great advice and the woman I'm working with has been great! They have several locations, so check it out and see if there is a place close to you.

What really got my thinking about doing it this way (even though I do have a full-time job) is the idea of appearing more professional, and not undercutting the local competition just because I "bake out of my home." If I approach my clients as a professional (which I am), and I have the legal business name and set up backing me up, it's my opinion that I will be taken more seriously.

Sure, there were start-up costs associated with doing this, and there will be more costs as orders come in (because you CAN accept pre-orders), but it's going to be WELL worth it.

Just make sure that even if you don't decide to go the official business route (although I strongly recommend it), you follow the requirements for labeling and such, according to HEA 1309.

Good luck!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 15

My health dept guys have already been out twice at the market in 3 weeks. They are on top of it!

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:23am
post #10 of 15

Hello!

I have a licensed shop in IN but recently participated in the winter farmers market in my area. I had a good time with it but struggled to any money with cakes, cookies & cupcakes. It seemed like the bakers who did the best were selling more things like breads, woopie pies, pies, and angel food cakes. I really like participating on the local scene but lost a little $ doing it. I think people were cool with spending top dollar for organic cheese and meat, not fancy cookies and cakes. (at least in my areaicon_smile.gif

HTH

adamsmom Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 15

Ok, so the wedding cake went over great! It wasn't perfect, but I believe that it was pretty good for my first one. Let me know what you think, here's the link: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1730236

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:48am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmom

Ok, so the wedding cake went over great! It wasn't perfect, but I believe that it was pretty good for my first one. Let me know what you think, here's the link: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1730236

It turned out great! Congrats on your first wedding cake! You normally just do cupcakes/cupcake weddings, etc?

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:56am
post #13 of 15

How are you able to do wedding cakes if the law says that delivery is not allowed? Are people picking them up?

adamsmom Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:36pm
post #14 of 15

This was actually done free of charge as a gift since the bride is a relative of my husband's. However, yes I would not be able to normally deliver anything if I would be charging for it. I am not planning on doing any other wedding cakes right now until we move next spring and I can hopefully have a shop separate from the house that I can license. It was a great opportunity for me to practice and will add to my portfolio for others who would like to order cakes for showers, birthdays, etc. Cylstrial, yes I normally stick to cupcakes but I love a good challenge icon_biggrin.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:16pm
post #15 of 15

I was just curious since even the mere mention of picking up a wedding cake sends most couples I see into deer-in-headlights shock icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%