Please Help With Spongebob Cake

Decorating By IFancyCake83 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm by scoutmamma

IFancyCake83 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 8

A family member has requested a Spongebob cake to feed 50 guests for her daughter's birthday July 24th. She wants buttercream icing and pound cake. Since, I'm a beginner cake decorator and baker, I have no idea how much to charge. I told her I would have an answer by this Friday.

I also need ideas on how to go about putting this cake together. I'm excited to have gotten this cake order but also very nervous! Please help if you can and thanks in advance!

7 replies
KHalstead Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 8

You're not able to recreate spongebob for profit (it's copyright infringement)

Other than that, what are you planning on doing?? A 3D cake? a sheet cake w/ decorations? A stacked cake??

Here is one I did for my son's bday, it was just a sheet cake w/ chocolate flowers, rice krispie treat houses and royal icing figures!

scoutmamma Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 8

My suggestion would be to find a design you are confident you can recreate first. Dont do anything that is terribly intricate if you arent comfortable doing it. When you are first starting it is better to do a more simple design with very clean lines that looks stunning than a crazy hard design full of flaws that you arent proud of. There are a ton of great examples of great cakes in the galleries here, thats where i would start. Ask lots of questions, you can PM the designer of the cake and ask for tips. If i can help, pls PM me. Good luck!

IFancyCake83 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you both! I pretty sure I'm going to do a sheet cake with some spongebob decor...keep it neat and simple. I've been looking at the 3d pans but...I think I'm better off with a sheet cake.

I will PM (if you don't mind) if I have further questions...which I know I will lol! Thanks again!

scoutmamma Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 8

We would love to see your pics when you are done!

tab_stout Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 8

Hey since you are a beginner I would suggest maybe just doing a Spongebob like this cake I did. It was really easy, and a big hit. Just cover it in buttercream and then use fondant for the accents.

IFancyCake83 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 8

I doubt that anyone is still following this post lOL but I am doing cupcakes instead of a sheet cake. I feel much more confident working with cupcakes! Will add pics to this post (If I can figure how) once the project is done.

scoutmamma Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 8

I am in fact still following it, and i would love to see how it turns out!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%