Dummy Cake-??

Decorating By Summer09 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm by mamawrobin

Summer09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Summer09 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:18am
post #1 of 6

How do u decor a dummy cake with many designs?

I bought one but after i do it do u just peel the fondant and extras of and throw in the bin- as it would have royal iceing piped onto it or maybe buttercream ect ( or do u judst wipe it of and do another design, but then wont that mark the fondant? )

im trying to build a cake portfolio but dont want to waste things

how do u do it?

I dont have customers- and cant keep baking cakes- im on a diet and hubby dont eat them- dont want to throw them away.

Thank you x

5 replies
Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:26am
post #2 of 6

If you want to bake actually cakes, not use the dummy, have you thought about giving them to churchs for them to serve? It can be some free advertising for you as well. Drop off the cake and some business cards.

What about to a local food pantry or soup kitchen, if you just want to donate?

What about linking up with somebody who sells things like Avon, May Kay, Party Light etc. and seeing if you can do practice cakes for their party (also a way to drum up first time customers).

I would also feel guilty just binning perfectly good cake!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:42am
post #3 of 6

you can TRY to wipe off piping on fondant, but it won't be perfect. The best suggestion I can give you is

A. cover the whole thing in fondant and change out ribbons, flowers, etc. that DON'T leave marks.

B. when you pipe ON the fondant....only do the design on half of the cake, then you can turn the cake around and pipe on the other half and you'll get 2 full designs out of 1 cake.

C. Change out the number of tiers and the sizes of the tiers and they'll look like completely different cakes too

HTH

p.s. I've seen some books that use the dummies without any icing with decorations on them and they just about look like perfectly iced cakes (might be a bad idea for a portfolio though because if you aren't able to recreate the absolutely perfect and seemless appearance of the dummy a customer might think it's misrepresentation)

Oh and to get the royal off your dummies.......stick them in a sink of hot water and stick a heavy pan/plate on top to weigh it down......in about 3 minutes the royal will be melted off and you'll have a clean dummy ready to go!

Here is a photo of just a dummy w/ flowers in it......you can see how it can "kinda" look like a iced cake...........if it had borders on it or ribbon you might almost think it WAS iced.
LL

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:54am
post #4 of 6

I reuse dummies all the time :0)
Simply peel it off & wash the dummy with soap & water, then let it dry thoroughly. Re-apply new designs. I know someone who peels off the old design & puts the dummy in the dishwasher... but I have not done this myself I just wash them by hand. ** if the fondant is hard as a rock on the dummy I let it soak in hot water :0)

Also when applying fondant to a dummy you don't have to use royal or BC.. I use just plain water... others use piping gel. These will help it to come off easier... & if your dummy is damage or dented then use royal to fill in & smooth to retore it to it's orignial shape/quality, let dry & then apply fondant.
Please note I use cheap fondant when doing this process so as not to waste money & I take off any flowers/items/extras & store them for my next cake or future designs.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 6

This was great information. I have been wondering about these things as well. I am wanting to add more wedding cakes to my porfolio. THANKS!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemom42

Also when applying fondant to a dummy you don't have to use royal or BC.. I use just plain water... others use piping gel. These will help it to come off easier...

I use a thin coat of shortening on my dummies before covering with fondant. This makes it much easier to remove from the dummy because it adheres beautifully without "gluing" the fondant to the dummy. When I'm ready to change designs I make a "slice" in the fondant and just peel it off. It comes off clean and doesn't remove "hunks" of the dummy along with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%