Canon Ip4700 With Kopykake Inks

Decorating By braysmama Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 1:57am by icingimages

braysmama Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:40am
post #1 of 8

I purchased a new set of Kopykake inks for an IP4700 printer. Purchased the printer today. When I put the cartridges in all inks light up EXCEPT the blueicon_sad.gif I briefly put the black one in to see if it was the printer but it lit up straight away indicating its the cartridge not the printer.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get it working? I'm in NZ so a long way from USA where the inks were purchased.

The cartridges are the 525SET-5E.

7 replies
Mikel79 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 8

I also have the IP4700. At this time I have not had any issues with the ink or printer...knock on wood. There is a phone number with the ink that you can call. I have read other posts saying that the tech. guy there is really hepful.

braysmama Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:49am
post #3 of 8

Thanks. I have emailed them and their tech person is not there at present but they have suggested I take the chip off the original ink and put it on the Kopykake tank. I will try this and hope for successicon_smile.gif

icingimages Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 8

You can replace the chips if necessary. But if it doesnt light up, that does not always mean that the cartridge is defective. If the printer says it does not recognize the cartridge, then it truely is problematic. There was a law suit which is making US based cartridges suppliers (not the ink, just the cartridge) stop allowing it to light up. So as some of the suppliers run out of the old US based cartrdiges, you will find the new ones will not light up. But that being said, if the computer is stating that the cartridge is not recognized, you can do a few things if the new chip doesnt work. Make sure the contacts are clean, the ones in the printer and the ones on the cartridge. Make sure the cartridge is clicked in to place fully. Sometimes if the cartridge is not meeting up properly with the cartridge, you may have to move your cartridge a bit to the left or the right in order to make it match up with the printhead carriage. If KK doesnt put their cartridges in static free bags, it could cause a chip to go bad. Now, all our Gold Label series cartridges (which is the same series you are using) chips get tested before they ship, but it doesnt mean that your printer is lining up the cartridges a bit differently. I hope this is helpful!

braysmama Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:27am
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much for your replyicon_smile.gif Very interesting!

I managed to swap over the chip from the original cyan cartridge and put it on my KK cartridge and it then lit up so all going well we are all set to go.

Out of interest is there a method to cleaning the contacts on the printer and cartridges if I need to in the future? I have had a Canon IP3000 printer for a number of years and had nothing but trouble with it due to faulty cartridges when I first brought it. Fingers crossed I have better luck with this one!

Thanks againicon_smile.gif

icingimages Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 8

Does the 3000 still work? You can clean the contacts with alcohol, but that may not be what the problem is. I have some great tricks, but really need to know what I am aiming them at!!

braysmama Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 8

The 3000 does still work but it is intermittent - sometimes it will print perfect, other times it won't! Every time I used it I would have to soak the print head in water and syringe the contacts then reinstall the cartridges and then print. It was serviced by a local service agent who said it was working fine but I was wasting so much ink it just wasn't worthwhile.

According to our NZ supplier the original KK ink we were supplied with was slightly thicker than the current ink hence why it only printed once without problems. We purchased new inks at that point but the problem had already startedicon_sad.gif

icingimages Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:57am
post #8 of 8

Email me at and I can send you a document that will probably fix it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%