Beginners Book You Would Recommend? Also General Cake ???'s

Decorating By Hollandy Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 8:09am by Hollandy

Hollandy Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:54am
post #1 of 10

Hi! I am new to this forum and new to the cake decorating scene. Since I'm an uber beginner I was wondering if there were any "must have" cake books that you could recommend (like Cake Decorating for Dummies or similar). What helped you out when you first began?

I would LOVE to take the Wilton courses but I live in the Netherlands and they're not available. I am thinking of trying to squeeze one in when I'm at "home" next time (Illinois) but until then this website and any book you can recommend will do!

My daughter will turn 2 on August 1st and I want to make a cake similar to the one attached here. I have found a website that seels pre-dyed fondant. Have you had positive experiences with packaged fondant? The Dutch tend not to do things overly-sweet, so that's one concern. Last year on her 1st bday I made MMF (which was a nightmare) and just told them to peel it off and not eat it. Some of them did like it though.

I will need a butter cream recipe that doesn't include shortening as well, as it's not readily available here and if I haul myself to the city to the store that carried American goods, for a small container of crisco I will pay 10 euros easily. I've been reading the buttercream sticky post but all of the info is really overwhelming!

I'm going to make a practice run with the cake and only have two tiers since it will be a small party. I'm really nervous but totally excited (and slightly obsessed)

Thanks and I'm really excited to be part of the "group".
LL

9 replies
tinygoose Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:55am
post #2 of 10

I like Satin Ice pre-dyed fondant especially for dark colors, it comes in primary colors. Michelle Fosters fondant recipe (google it) is very popular. As far as stacking Sharon (sugar shack) has some great dvd's and I think she uses bubble straws, but i like the single plate system (SPS). Looks like a big cake, I'm guessing 6" 9" 12" which serves 100.

BC recipes are easy for under fondant. If you're not transporting the cake, and it stays cool you can just use a basic BC recipe...butter, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla under the fondant. I use sweetex & butter for hotter days. I also love Swiss Meringue Buttercream, smooths like a dream.

There are a million books out there. I started with the Colette Peters books, but hers are advanced. Wilton books are good place to start. Amazon has them all. You tube is also a great resource for cake decorating. Just type in "how to stack a cake" there are tons of cake decorating videos on there. Edna from this site posts some awesome videos on you tube.

As far as getting the cut outs to stick, just use hot water mixed equally with gumpaste (gum glue) ( or even water alone) and brush a little on the back of the cut outs (those look pre dried) and fondant sticks like glue with just a touch of water or gum glue.

As for the cutters....I just googled them (sesame street cutters) there are a bunch.

noahsmummy Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:56am
post #3 of 10

ive not got much experience with packaged fondant.. actually.. i have none.. lol.

i usually use mmf and its good for me, but i have just made up a batch of michelle fosters fondant, and so far its great! its just resting atm, but as i wasa kneading it..it felt fantastic.

as for buttercream, we dont have "shortening" here in aus, but we have copha, which we use as a sub. do you have something similar there? maybe you could google it?

otherwise, have you thought about bypassing buttercreaming completley and using ganache underneath instead? its just chocolate and cream, and alot of people think its gives the fondant a better, smoother finish than if you used b/c anyway. good luck, let us know how you go! =)

aprilblack Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 10:35am
post #4 of 10

I havent personally used the ganache under fondant but heard it was better than BC that your fondant looks smoother and your edges are much more crisp. I have that Planet Cake book and they LIVE by the ganache under fondant.. Plus they give detailed instructions on how to assemble all of their cakes and if I recall, I think majority of them are 3-D.. Great book BTW.

Hollandy Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:07am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

I like pre-dyed fondant especially for dark colors, it comes in primary colors. Michelle Fosters fondant recipe (google it) is very popular. As far as stacking Sharon (sugar shack) has some great dvd's and I think she uses bubble straws, but i like the single plate system (SPS). Looks like a big cake, I'm guessing 6" 9" 12" which serves 100.

BC recipes are easy for under fondant. If you're not transporting the cake, and it stays cool you can just use a basic BC recipe...butter, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla under the fondant. I use sweetex & butter for hotter days. I also love Swiss Meringue Buttercream, smooths like a dream.

There are a million books out there. I started with the Colette Peters books, but hers are advanced. Wilton books are good place to start. Amazon has them all. You tube is also a great resource for cake decorating. Just type in "how to stack a cake" there are tons of cake decorating videos on there. Edna from this site posts some awesome videos on you tube.

As far as getting the cut outs to stick, just use hot water mixed equally with gumpaste (gum glue) ( or even water alone) and brush a little on the back of the cut outs (those look pre dried) and fondant sticks like glue with just a touch of water or gum glue.

As for the cutters....I just googled them (sesame street cutters) there are a bunch.

THANK YOU! I spent all weekend watching cake decoratng on youtube actually but wanted a book to 'hold in my hands'. LOL

I never thought about getting cutters for the characters, I was planning to do them on my own. DUH! My Mom is going to be sending me over a care package soon, I'll ask her to include the cutters!

7yyrt Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:15am
post #6 of 10

If you have trouble finding the cutters, you can trace coloring book pictures like these.

http://www.preschoollearningonline.com/preschoolprintablecoloringpages.html

tweeter_bug98 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:43am
post #7 of 10

I love the book Simple and Sweet Party Cakes by May Clee Cadman. Each cake is beautiful and the book gives really good directions. I have read it from cover to cover several times. I highly recommend it.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sweet-And-Simple-Party-Cakes/May-Clee-Cadman/e/9780715326879/?itm=1&USRI=simple+and+sweet+party+cakes

shanney54 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:31am
post #8 of 10

That is an awesome book!!! I plan on buying it myself this weekend! I went to Books-A-Million a few days ago to look at books and came across that book and another one by her (Cakes for Romantic Occasions). Another book I found is Fun & Original Character Cakes by Maisie Parrish. It's a book that just covers fondant/gum paste figurines, but it's really nice.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0715330055/?tag=cakecentral-20

Another tool that's helped me a lot is Youtube. You can find all kinds of videos from icing cakes, stacking, sculpting, stuff I never thought to look on there for until I saw someone on here mention it on here.

aprilblack Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:16am
post #9 of 10

I have both of those books and they are great!! i especially love how they give you the design ideas in the mini cakes as well!!

Hollandy Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:09am
post #10 of 10

thanks for all of the great tips ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%