Pastry Pride Whipped Topping And Mousse Question

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 6:52pm by BlakesCakes

sweettreat101  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:39am
post #1 of 6

I usually make a mousse using whipping cream and instant pudding. Could I use Pastry Pride non dairy whipped topping instead of the cream so I wouldn't have to refrigerate? If you haven't heard of it it comes in a carton and you whip it up like cream. I have a carton that I didn't use this weekend and after reading an old post now I am curious could it work.

5 replies
 CWR41  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:10am
post #2 of 6

Yes, your non-dairy whipped topping doesn't need to be refrigerated.

I wouldn't use it for a wedding cake though. (depending on how many days it takes you to make a wedding cake, it gets rubbery as it dries which doesn't slice well when served. It will end up pealing off the cake unless you use a hot dipped knife with each cut.)

Also, I wouldn't recommend it for an outdoor event in full sun. (it will break down just like BC around 80 degrees, so keep it in the shade.)

LadyKinster  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:58am
post #3 of 6

Check this out: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgjqsjjc_4gmsq9sdh
It's all about "bettercream", aka pastry pride.

BlakesCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 6

I don't know the shelf life of Pastry Pride, but I make Bettercreme mousses for nearly all of my cakes.
They can be unrefrigerated for at least 5 days. They don't get rubbery and they hold up very well under buttercream or fondant because the pudding mix stabilzes it beautifully.

I take the pudding mix and add enough hot water to make a soft paste consistency. I whip the Bettercreme to the soft peak consistency and put some of that into the pudding mixture. I transfer that back into the rest of the whipped Bettercreme and mix on low for just 10 seconds until well combined.

The result is a tasty mousse that doesn't soak into the cake and can be left at room temp for several days.

HTH
Rae

sweettreat101  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 6

About how much Bettercreme do you use? Is it the entire carton? I have a carton of Frostin Pride and a carton of whipped topping in the fridge that I didn't use for a wedding this weekend. I don't know if I can freeze them since they have thawed. Frostin Pride is the samething as Bettercream but I was told that it takes colors better.

BlakesCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 6

I only use as much Bettercreme as I need to fill the cake. For example, I make about a cup for an 8 inch cake. I do refreeze the carton right away--right after I'm able to shake it well and measure out the amount. I've never had any problems using it this way.

I KNOW they say not to re-freeze--don't know why--but I haven't had any adverse results. I'd personally re-freeze at least the carton.

Using an entire carton, I'd make up 2 batches of pudding paste.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%