Pastry Pride Whipped Topping And Mousse Question

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 6:52pm by BlakesCakes

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:39am
post #1 of 6

I usually make a mousse using whipping cream and instant pudding. Could I use Pastry Pride non dairy whipped topping instead of the cream so I wouldn't have to refrigerate? If you haven't heard of it it comes in a carton and you whip it up like cream. I have a carton that I didn't use this weekend and after reading an old post now I am curious could it work.

5 replies
CWR41 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:10am
post #2 of 6

Yes, your non-dairy whipped topping doesn't need to be refrigerated.

I wouldn't use it for a wedding cake though. (depending on how many days it takes you to make a wedding cake, it gets rubbery as it dries which doesn't slice well when served. It will end up pealing off the cake unless you use a hot dipped knife with each cut.)

Also, I wouldn't recommend it for an outdoor event in full sun. (it will break down just like BC around 80 degrees, so keep it in the shade.)

LadyKinster Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:58am
post #3 of 6

Check this out: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgjqsjjc_4gmsq9sdh
It's all about "bettercream", aka pastry pride.

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 6

I don't know the shelf life of Pastry Pride, but I make Bettercreme mousses for nearly all of my cakes.
They can be unrefrigerated for at least 5 days. They don't get rubbery and they hold up very well under buttercream or fondant because the pudding mix stabilzes it beautifully.

I take the pudding mix and add enough hot water to make a soft paste consistency. I whip the Bettercreme to the soft peak consistency and put some of that into the pudding mixture. I transfer that back into the rest of the whipped Bettercreme and mix on low for just 10 seconds until well combined.

The result is a tasty mousse that doesn't soak into the cake and can be left at room temp for several days.

HTH
Rae

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 6

About how much Bettercreme do you use? Is it the entire carton? I have a carton of Frostin Pride and a carton of whipped topping in the fridge that I didn't use for a wedding this weekend. I don't know if I can freeze them since they have thawed. Frostin Pride is the samething as Bettercream but I was told that it takes colors better.

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 6

I only use as much Bettercreme as I need to fill the cake. For example, I make about a cup for an 8 inch cake. I do refreeze the carton right away--right after I'm able to shake it well and measure out the amount. I've never had any problems using it this way.

I KNOW they say not to re-freeze--don't know why--but I haven't had any adverse results. I'd personally re-freeze at least the carton.

Using an entire carton, I'd make up 2 batches of pudding paste.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%