Butterflies

Decorating By pilkey Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 10:40am by KayMc

pilkey Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #1 of 19

Hi all - never posted before but I'm stuck and I figure you guys will have some ideas for me!

I foolishly agreed to make my SIL's wedding cake and she was fine with whatever was easiest for me but that she wanted her base fondant colour to be teal and her accent colour is black. I wanted to surprise her with something special so I'm making cascading white butterflies down the three tiers, with a few small flowers with silver dragees here and there.

My wonderful husband got me a Cricut Cake for my bday so after some failed experimenting with gum paste and running out of time for practicing I sucked it up and bought the ridiculously expensive frosting sheets and cut out some beautiful perfect butterflies which I have layered and are resting on some folded paper to dry so they will have a more realistic look. They look fantastic but I'm now stuck on how to actually attach them to the cake.

I'm now realizing that my original plan to make gumpaste butterflies with the wire embedded in them and attach them to the cake that way isn't going to work...there's no way I can use wire with these as they are SOOOO thin they will tear easily.

Can I attach them with royal icing? How would that work with the fondant - will it break it down? I am probably using MMF...the only other thing I could think of is using royal icing to attach wires to the butterflies and then insert them into the cake afterwards. Just to complicate things, I have to transport the cake and assemble it on site about an hour away from me!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

18 replies
princesssalamander Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:17am
post #2 of 19

you could also try melted chocolate, might be easier than RI?? Just a thought! No idea though really I've not had to do this with really thin butterflies

nwnest Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:49am
post #3 of 19

Royal icing should work just fine.

pilkey Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 19

I don't have a lot of experience with royal icing and cakes, I've only ever used it to decorate cookies...how fast does it dry on fondant? I'm looking at adhering at least 2 dozen butterflies to the cake so I'll have to hold each one on until it dries which will take forever!!!!

nwnest Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 19

You know, RI is funny stuff, when it is made to a piping consistency it has a cement-like quality. When you put stuff in it, it tends to stick. As long as your butterflies aren't heavy you shouldn't have to hold them for more than a few seconds.

pilkey Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 19

I wish they were heavier LOL - those cricut frosting sheets are literally paper thin! And more than a drop or 2 of water dissolves them. The butterflies I made are beautiful I'm just getting a bit worried about 1) breakage in transit and 2) actually attaching them to the cake without them disintegrating!

nwnest Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:46am
post #7 of 19

That really sounds challenging! Do you have any scraps left from when you cut your butterflies out that you can play around with? I'm pretty sure that a piping consistency royal won't hurt the Cricut frosting, but you could try using the RI to stick it to something (doesn't have to be cake, you could use an upside-side down cake pan or whatever.) That would give you an idea of how long it would take to stick, and after it sets you can bump it around a little and see if you want to decorate your cake ahead of time or on site.

tinygoose Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:02am
post #8 of 19

Royal Icing would work.

bobhope Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:07am
post #9 of 19

i used royal icing to attach the butterflies to the cake (on site) it quickly dried... icon_smile.gif

bobbie

pilkey Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:33am
post #10 of 19

the other thing I was thinking of was using royal icing to attach the butterflies to wires and then I can insert them that way...

Montrealconfections Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #11 of 19

Please clarify did you use frosting sheets or rice paper? I worry if the frosting sheets will stay stiff? The ideal is rice paper, I'd use RI to attach them.

pilkey Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:01am
post #12 of 19

I used the Cricut Cake brand frosting sheets...it's been 2 days and they are still not stiff! Hoping that by Sat they are harder but if not then it will change my game plan again! Thinking I might make some gum paste flowers and possibly some less beautiful butterflies as a back up plan icon_sad.gif

Montrealconfections Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 19

Sorry to say frosting sheets don't dry stiff I suggest rolling gum paste very thin brush with vodka apply your butterfly wing then trim excess then they will dry stiff.

carmijok Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #14 of 19

Pilkey, I recently did a cake with butterflies and I used a clear rubber stamp pad that had several different sizes and styles of butterflies on it. Got it in the scrapbook section either in Michaels or Walmart. Anyway, the stamp worked great to make detailed butterfly wings (see my photos). I used gum paste and they dried really fast. You can shape them however you want. I petal dusted mine. The ones on my cake are not all the ones I made so you can't see ones that I made that had their wings up and such--but you can do that if that's the look you're going for. They are very light and I adhered the small ones to the bottom tier with just buttercream. Royal icing would be like cement, so it would work great. Anyway, good luck! You'll come up with something! thumbs_up.gif

sexy_baker Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 19

I bet royal icing will do the trick too. I hope everything goes well as planned!

pilkey Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:25pm
post #16 of 19

Ok so FYI - cricut frosting sheets do NOT get hard even after 10 days in a dry place!!! They are gorgeous and delicate but just not great for 3D application, they need to be laid flat on a the cake.

They were still extremely pliable the day of the wedding so I just "glued" them on with royal icing and hoped for the best. It sat in the hall for approx. 3-4 hours during the wedding etc. then when I arrived back (one of the first ones there thank goodness) a few of them had just sagged and tore right off the cake icon_sad.gif Luckily I had a piping bag of icing just in case stashed under the table and I was able to fix it! And luckily I had taken some pics before that happened as well! Next time I will definitely be using gum paste - just have to get some practice in first!

Here's a pic of how it turned out...

KayMc Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #17 of 19

Did you consider doing gelatin butterflies instead? They're gorgeous, and pretty flexible I think. And lightweight.

Shalott Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 9:19am
post #18 of 19

Your cake is beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous.

KayMc Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 10:40am
post #19 of 19

Yes, I should have said that first. The cake is very pretty, and you matched the color of the table perfectly! Good job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%