My Cakes Look Like A Volcano.

Decorating By chillilannie Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 1:34am by chillilannie

chillilannie Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:14am
post #1 of 10

I have gone through 10 cakes today. They are all turning out the same way. They are forming a huge mound on the center and huge cracks across the top and sides. I am using wilton pans, 14" 10" and 6 " rounds. I am using the flower nails in the center. For some reason they just start bulging and cracking and the centers are still uncooked liquid. I have tried adjusting the temp of my oven as well. I started with the chocolate WASC and when this happened I thought it was the way I made the cake. So I switched to just Betty Crocker box cakes and followed only instructions on the back, still the same thing happened. Can someone please help ? icon_confused.gif

9 replies
CWR41 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:12am
post #2 of 10

It could be your Wilton pans. Do you know if they are the heavy-duty stainless steel ones or the lighter weight aluminum?

PiccoloChellie Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:04am
post #3 of 10

The 3" deep pans that come in a set?

Try lowering your oven temperature 25 degrees and baking for a little longer than normal. If you have the pans I'm thinking of, they do much better at a lower temp.

chillilannie Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, they are the 3" deep aluminum, I bought them at Michael's. Do you think the bake even strips would help as well as lowering the temp?

ttehan4 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 10

I would try the bake even and the lower temp.

bakingpw Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 10

If they are all the same flavor - I would check the recipe: sounds like a leavening issue, like maybe baking powder instead of baking soda. Just a thought. Hopefully your day will get better.

Joshua_Alan Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 10

I've had this problem before. You're not overfilling your pans are you? I also agree with baking a little longer at a lower temperature.

tweeter_bug98 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 10

I have had really good success with lowering the oven temperature by 25 degrees, it results in a more evenly baked cake without the huge mound in the middle. Hope that helps and good luck!

PiccoloChellie Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillilannie

Yes, they are the 3" deep aluminum, I bought them at Michael's. Do you think the bake even strips would help as well as lowering the temp?

I have that same set - got it as a gift. icon_smile.gif I use the 6" pan ALL THE TIME, and love love love it. (The 14" pan is *perfect* for making giant cookie cakes, btw!)
I've never used bake even strips, but I can't see how it would hurt. What I do is, as mentioned, lower that oven temp at least 25 degrees and bake it longer. Do a test run in the 6" pan with your oven temp 25 degrees lower and if you don't get good results, drop it 25 degrees more. That should work just fine, especially if you're getting the volcano effect with a straight box mix. Sounds like it's simply a matter of oven temperature here and that's easily fixable! icon_smile.gif

chillilannie Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all the hints everyone! I made a new cake today, used the 14" with the bake even strips , flower nail and lowered oven temp. IT WORKED!!!!!!! My cake came out almost completely level, I will have very little leveling to do. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%