Copying Someone Elses Work

Decorating By happigolucki35 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 2:48am by catlharper

happigolucki35 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 3

When a customer gives a picture of a cake they want and ask for the exact same cake, is it okay to copy the cake exactly. How do you feel about this?

2 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #2 of 3

I tell people that I'll use a photo for "inspiration" but I never promise an exact copy--not because of any issues with copying, but because things happen during construction that will always lead to something that's a little different from the photo. I don't want them holding up a photo next to the cake and have the audacity to come back to me questioning the placement of a flower.....................

That said, I have no problem "copying" or being copied. We all get our inspiration from somewhere and if someone has seen a picture of something that they really like, who am I to tell them that they can't have it--or at least something very similar to it?

If I post a photo of the cake, I'll give credit for the inspiration--IF the decorator is identified in the photo or by the client--but I won't spend the time hunting down that info.

catlharper Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:48am
post #3 of 3

Yup....I use it for inspiration as well. I make up new sketches with some variations on the design and have the client choose from one of my designs. I always tell them that the cake pictured is wonderful and it's a great start for me to design their one of a kind cake. It has always worked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%