If You Are Contracted Out For Cake Cutting Services.....

Decorating By Dreme Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 6:24am by indydebi

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 4

at a couple's wedding, what do you guys do until its time to cut the cake?

Couples were beginning to ask so now I offer services to stay and cut the wedding cake for $25/hr with a 4hr minimum. (As suggested in another thread 4hrs minimum was the norm). People don't seem to have a problem paying for the extra service so I now offer it. I have just started to offer this awhile back and now I have three upcoming weddings where I will stay and cut the cake. Thing is what do you do the majority of the time your there? Where do you stay at? Have you guys done this for your couples?

TIA

3 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:38am
post #2 of 4

I haven't done it, but I would think there would a room off to the side where you could sit and read a book or something until it's time to cut the cake. Otherwise you might be a little too "handy" and people will ask you to do things to help out with the reception that you are not contracted to do.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:58am
post #3 of 4

I had to do this once for a wedding I wasn't invited to. Luckily I lived not too far away and was able to come back...but the wedding was late icon_sad.gif So, we were off into the catering hallway where we were VERY in the way :p I would make sure of the time and say that they should do the ceremonial cutting right off the bat so that you are not waiting around. This is actually the tradition since the cake is suppose to be the first meal that the bride and groom have together...I think lol

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:24am
post #4 of 4

Sit in the kitchen and read a book. Or at a table in the far corner.

Also, as step0nmi says, I always recommended my brides do the ceremonial cutting as quickly as possible and for the same reason: traditionally, it's the first meal shared by the new couple. THe cake can be cut for the guests anytime after that, be it in 5 minutes or in 2 hours. Remind them that the longer it takes to serve the cake to their guests, the more they are paying you.

And by the way, drive time is included in that 4 hours. I worked for a company that did quality inspections for the auto industry and our inspectors were paid for drive-time to and from the job, so this is not unusual or out of line.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%