Does Ganache Hold Up Better Under Fondant Versus Buttercream

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm by Marianna46

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 6

I have a chocolate cake with chocolate fondant due next weekend and with the weather heating up I am starting to worry about the cake. I was planning on using chocolate butter cream but after yesterdays bubble under frosting disaster I getting scared. The wedding is outdoors in the evening at 6:00pm. The ganache I usually use has butter and a dash of vanilla which worries me about stability. I will be using semi sweet chocolate chips 12 ounce bags. Can someone give me the amounts for cream and any other ingredients? Do you think it will be better to use ganache? I asked a couple of days ago but several of the answer were 3 to one ratio etc. I need measurements. LOL. I want to impress the family since it's my cousins cake. Thank you.

5 replies
Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:35am
post #2 of 6

Yes, use ganache! Dark chocolate ganache should hold up better, up to about 95 F. temps as opposed to 75 for real buttercream (with butter, not shortening). Of course, you could use a shortening based chocolate bc.

With dark chocolate ganache you can use a 2:1 ratio (use 3:1 for white chocolate). So, for a 12 oz. bag of chips you would use 6 oz. (volume measurement, not weight) of heavy cream. Melt the chips, boil the cream and combine the two with a whisk. Let cool over night at room temp until the consistency of peanut butter - or cool in fridge, stirring every now and then, until this consistency..

What sizes of cakes are you using? Unless it's a small cake that won't be enough.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 6

I remember someone posting once that she used ganache under her fondant and the bride told her the fondant was like a rock and had to be chipped off. She said that had never happened to her with buttercream.

I dont remember the exact thread but has anyone had this experience. I use smbc and havent had any problems yet but I do refrigerate so maybe that makes a difference giving me more time for delivery until we arrive at the a/c venue

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:01am
post #4 of 6

The cake will be a three inch by 14 inch round cake. Is it ok to leave ganache sitting on the counter overnight? I thought it had to be kept chilled due to the cream. How thick should the ganache be under fondant? The chocolate butter cream I use is 3 pounds of powdered sugar, 2 cups butter, 1/2 cup hi ratio shortening, 1 cup cocoa powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 tablespoon real vanilla, 5 ounces plus 2 tablespoons cream and 2 cups ganache. Do you think this will be ok? The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons meringue powder but I never use it. Thank you for your help.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 6

Ganache with this ratio of chocolate to cream is ok to be out of the fridge for a few days (it's the same as the center of a chocolate truffle) OR you can refrigerate it if you're concerned, I do, just serve at room temp. You would need approx. 25 oz. of chocolate & 14 oz. heavy cream to cover a 14 inch round (I do use a 1.8:1 ratio actually, it's slightly softer but has the same effect).

You could also use your bc recipe, just sub hi-ratio shortening for the butter and you should be ok without melting issues.

Best wishes,

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 6

I've used both ganache and shortening-based buttercream on cakes here in this tropical climate where I live. Both work, although I never put buttercream under fondant, because I find that in this climate it makes my fondant runny. If it's going to be hot outside, the ganache will be nice and creamy. It can only harden to the crunchy stage if the weather's very cold. Just try to keep the cake out of the direct sunlight, even at 6:00, though, or all bets are off! You'll end up with a cake surrounded by a puddle of brown grease and a large quantity of elephant skin!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%