Need Help Figuring Out Sizes....

Decorating By krm52200 Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 11:58pm by msulli10

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 6

A customer ordered a cake to serve 75. The picture she brought me just shows 2 tiers, it looks to be a 10/8. I suggested adding a third tier to achieve the proper number of servings. My brain must be fried because for the life of me I can not seem to figure out what size rounds I should do to get to 75. I generally use Earlene's cake serving chart. According to that I could do a 12 and a 10, but I think this would look too short and wide, especially for the design. Which is why I suggested adding a third tier. So can someone please help my poor tired brain?

TIA -

KRM

5 replies
Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 6

You could do a 12,9,6. According to Earlene's chart, that would give you the 75 if you didn't want to do the 12,10 combination. It may give you a slightly bigger ledge between tiers, but it gets the servings you'd need, and would have a consistent spacing. Hope this helps give you a little to think about. Let us know how you decided to go with the cake! Good Luck!

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 6

Someone posted this calculator in another thread yesterday...maybe that would help...

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeropanda

You could do a 12,9,6. According to Earlene's chart, that would give you the 75 if you didn't want to do the 12,10 combination. It may give you a slightly bigger ledge between tiers, but it gets the servings you'd need, and would have a consistent spacing. Hope this helps give you a little to think about. Let us know how you decided to go with the cake! Good Luck!

thanks, thats what pretty much where I left off yesterday. I don't have a 9 inch pans, but I could pick them up. It was the consistent spacing that I was having a hard time with. sometimes I just need to "talk" things out with someone else in order to get my head around an idea. unfortunately, my husband doesn't speak "cake" so I have to share all my silly questions with you guys icon_smile.gif

thanks again for your help. I feel better about the whole thing now.

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattycornercakes

Someone posted this calculator in another thread yesterday...maybe that would help...

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi

Thanks for that link, cattycornercakes! That will be very helpful when I'm figuring out how many cups of batter for my cakes. I usually have to add it all up from my list, but with this, I can just click what sizes I'm using, and know how much ingredients I'll need! Thanks!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks cattycornercake - what a great link.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%