How Can I Harden My Icing For Modelling On My Cakes?

Baking By xSam12x Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 10:24pm by xSam12x

xSam12x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xSam12x Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 5

I made a birthday cake a few days ago and used regal ice to make a beach brolly and palm tree but after being on the cake less than 30 seconds they were flopping, i only had to touch them and they turned watery in my hand and soft, the weather has been very hot but i cant think why it would be so bad?

i got some hardening powder from a small cake shop and was told to mix this in my icing and it would harden but when i used this nothing changed. can anyone help? i have a birthday cake to make for my niece next week and realy dont want the same to happen

Thank you!!

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 5

What kind of icing are you talking about? Like a buttercream or fondant? What is the stuff you got to harden it called?

xSam12x Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 5

sorry, its the fondant icing (i think) can u tell im new to this? icon_smile.gif its the regalice ready to roll. thanks
LL

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 5

You can add tylose powder to fondant to make it harden. If that is what they gave you maybe you didnt add enough. I would try to add more tylose powder and give it another go.

xSam12x Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 5

thank you i will give it a try, do you know how long it takes to harden? minutes or over night etc? thanks again xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%