3D Bull Dog Cake Pricing

Decorating By MoonWinkBakery Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 10:36am by loriana

MoonWinkBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoonWinkBakery Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 2

I have been requested to do a 3D bulldog cake for a upcoming wedding (grooms cake). I have attached the picture I have NO idea how much to charge for somethig like this. I am assuming at the very least I would have to bake at least 3-4 9x13 cake plus the fondant, the basic stucture and my time. I have read that some people charge $5/serving. Do I charge $5/serving x Q76 servings (before carving)? If so that is $304 for a cake that would only be about 9"high x 8"wide x 11" long. Does that seem correct or is that too much $. Somene please help! Thank you! Bev
LL

1 reply
loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 10:36am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWinkBakery

I have been requested to do a 3D bulldog cake for a upcoming wedding (grooms cake). I have attached the picture I have NO idea how much to charge for somethig like this. I am assuming at the very least I would have to bake at least 3-4 9x13 cake plus the fondant, the basic stucture and my time. I have read that some people charge $5/serving. Do I charge $5/serving x Q76 servings (before carving)? If so that is $304 for a cake that would only be about 9"high x 8"wide x 11" long. Does that seem correct or is that too much $. Somene please help! Thank you! Bev

Hi Bev! This looks like a difficult cake. The way I would personally charge for something carved like a bulldog would be to charge:

full price of the size of cake needed before carving + added cost for time to carve + your fee for difficulty.

So, let's say it will take you 4 tiers of 10" cakes before carving the dog. I would charge that + say, your rate of $10 an hour (or whatever you generally pay yourself) times the amount of extra time spent above and beyond your normal cake+ $20 for your expertise. Of course this is your total fee for a fondant cake which will be different than a buttercream cake. 3D cakes get expensive for customers so I wouldnt undercharge. They can add up quickly. It's just they way it is. Don't be ashamed about charging them full price for what it is worth, which is your expertise, time and cake (before carving).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%