Standing Gumpaste Panels (Republican Cake, Revisited)?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm by chellescountrycakes

confectionsofahousewife Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 9

Some of you may have read my post a while back about having to make a republican themed grooms cake. Well, the time is upon me and the cake is due Saturday. Part of the cake is going to include a tri-fold (like the folding pieces of foam core you would use for a science fair) gumpaste panel with Ronald Reagan's face and 2010. It will be like a back drop to a podium. So, I cut a 6x8 inch white panel out of gumpaste and I am going to put Ronny's face on it in black fondant (see photo of face below). Then my plan is to cut two more panels out of black gumpaste and those will set on either side of the white panel. Am I making sense? I guess what I am getting at is, how shall I go about making the panels stand up on the cake? Do I need to put skewers behind the panels so they have some support? Or will they be hard enough to just stand on their own? What do you think?

Oh, and does that look enough like Ronald Reagan that people will know who it is?
LL

8 replies
UpAt2am Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 9

hey girl! i chimed in on this topic when you first posted and i love the idea that you've come up with. as i told you before, my husband wears his "reelect reagan" shirt all the time icon_smile.gif

i think the face def. looks like reagan without a doubt...so great job on that!

if your gumpaste panels are completely dry, i don't see why they wouldn't stand up on the cake without support, especially if it's going to be like a trifold poster board that's open. i would "glue" my panels togther with hardening chocolate or royal icing and have them sit on the counter for a bit. i probably wouldn't travel with them on the cake and just place on cake at the site icon_smile.gif

good luck!!!

confectionsofahousewife Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks! I think he turned out pretty well. I think I'm going to put reelect reagan on the cake. I am planning on putting phrases around the sides of the cake and and that is the one I want on the front.

I think I am going to partly assemble the wedding cake at the church so I could easily put the panels on there too. You think melted chocolate to attach them? I hadn't thought of that. Can I attach the three panels together before I transport them?

terrig007 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 9

Nice Cake! I have a "I Miss Ronnie" bumper sticker on my car!

HobbyCaker Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 9

I have very little experience in this area, but had to comment. I cannot wait to see the final cake, it sound like it will be awesome. What a unique design. Good luck with it.

UpAt2am Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 9

hey girl...i had so many typos in my last post...that's what i get for typing with a 1 year old on my lap icon_smile.gif

i attach everything with hardening chocolate (mostly because i always have it on hand, and b/c i rarely want to make royal icing!)

it can tend to seize if you add colors to it...but it will thin right back out with veg. oil icon_smile.gif

then i use my can of air to make it harden really fast! i'd assemble the panels and travel with them on a little bed of squishy egg crate so they won't bump a lot in the car. and then place on cake when you get there. if you're using BC on the cake...push it into the BC a tiny bit. if it's fondant, it should sit on top just fine, right?! you could always put one skewer behind it if no one will see the back...for your sense of security icon_smile.gif

bet it will be great!!!

KayMc Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 9

Are you kidding???? That's a fabulous likeness of Reagan! Great job! Please show us pics when you're done.

nancyg Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 9

great job

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 9

excelent picture!! you did great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%