Gum Paste

Decorating By cakesoohlala Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 6:00pm by carmijok

cakesoohlala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoohlala Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 5

Is there a trick to the gum paste drying as nicely as fondant. It seems to look dried out when it hardens, whereas the fondant stays very nice looking. But, the fondant isn't as sturdy, so I am wonereing what I might do?

4 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 5

I never have a problem with my gumpaste looking "dried out" when it hardens. Are you kneading it enough before using?

I also use shortening when working with my gumpaste to keep it soft and pliable and from drying out while I'm working with it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 5

Definitely the shortening helps! I prefer using shortening even with fondant (believe it or not, never had a problem with it). Keep in mind too that colored gum paste dries lighter than fondant so maybe that's why you're thinking it has a 'dry' look to it. Add more color than you think you need when you're coloring it. Plus, I generally add lustre dust or other pearlized dusts to give things like bows a nice sheen when I think it needs it.

cakesoohlala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoohlala Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 5

I do knead it a lot, and use crisco. It just don't like the way it dries, not as vibrant as when it is soft. I have used the Wilton brand, and made my own...same problem. I end up just making things with fondant instead. That is unless it needs to be very solid.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesoohlala

I do knead it a lot, and use crisco. It just don't like the way it dries, not as vibrant as when it is soft. I have used the Wilton brand, and made my own...same problem. I end up just making things with fondant instead. That is unless it needs to be very solid.

That's generally what I use gum paste for...solid...really hard and dry fast decor. Plus you can get gum paste really thin whereas I found fondant would break apart more easily when it's thin. It really does have a 'drier' look to it (when it's colored...left white it's just the same). But you can still have it rich colors...you just have to add more color. And, like I said, the dusts can add the vibrancy you want. So it's just the nature of gum paste vs. fondant! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%