Im Having Trouble With Colored Fondant

Decorating By tammycakes58 Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm by tammycakes58

tammycakes58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammycakes58 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 3

hi everyone, pretty new to cake decorating and still learning. Im havin a problem with my fondant always crackes and dries out on me when I use satin ice fondant ,it dried out so much i couldnt use it , Im not sure what Im doing wrong. But like to use this fondant because they have colored fondant. I used wilton fondant on my last cake butterfly cake and had no prolems and colored it my self . For brighter colors or black fondant I would like to buy already colored. what should i do? Is there another brand I can use or should I use wilton and color my self? If I continue to color myself whats the best food coloring gel to use for brighter colors or black?

thanks for your help

2 replies
heina2420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heina2420 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 3

I also use Satin Ice, and love it. Its one of the best colored fondants to work with and taste. I haven't had trouble with my fondant drying out. I wrap it tightly in plastic wrap when I am not using it. Veggie shortening helps when moisten it when you are working with it, but I then had it tear when I covered the cake. After more practice I learned that I was over working it. Hope this helps.

tammycakes58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammycakes58 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 3

It is a great fondant , I think I have been over working the fondant, and I also notice I have been kneading the fondant with to much Confection sugar which also makes it dry out i found out ..LIke you said with more practice I should get the hang of it. I have a fondant cake to do next week , so im going to give it another try and try using the shortening ... thank you so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%