Need Help Fiqureing Out The Size Of This Cake.

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 8:36pm by nancyg

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 9

I have an order to feed 40 people. they want this baby shower cake, except in lilac, green and yellow, and no flowers, they want more baby stuff. This is a photo of one of Dena's cakes. they dont want the stuff to look like that, they just want the cakes stacked like that, and then I'm putting differnt stuff on there. no flowers, just differnt baby items.

I just dont know what size these cakes are. So thats what I'm asking, I know they would feed way more than 40.. and to be honest, If someone orders a cake for 40, they usually get a cake that will feed more than 60. I'm just that way- like I've said before, if someone gave me a peice of cake that was 2X2 I'd laugh at them take my present and go home. ROFLMAO! . BUT, I'm not making a cake for 200 just so they get their design either.

I was thinking the bottom tier and the present on top.

OR if I did 3 teirs, how about the bottom tier being the same height as the middle teir.. Just 2 cakes high. (2 inch cakes with BC filling i dont slice them open, I aint able to be level... I'm a bubble off plumb, and so is my cutting..... )

so what size would you make the cakes to come up with 50-60 servings?
LL

8 replies
luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 9

Check out this link it has a great guide as to serving sizes that seems pretty generous compared to the Wilton chart. Scroll down to see square sizes.

http://www.perfect-wedding-day.com/wedding-cake-prices.html

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks icon_smile.gif So how big do you think Dena's cake is? I need to tell this woman that 40 servings in this cake is not going to be very big. I'm thinking the base would be smaller than a sheet of paper, with the presnt on top being about a 3X3. LOL

I'm just afraid it would look funny in a 10 inch, and a 6 inch wtih a 3X3 on top. all out of wack. like the proportions are off or something.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 9

The size of the cake you posted looks like
a 4" high 6" square,
a 3" high 10" square, and
a 4" high 14" square
(according to Wilton's chart would serve 18/37/98 = 153
taking into consideration the average of the 3" tall layer).

If you'd like to serve close to 50-60, you might consider making a 6" X 10" (both tiers 4" tall) to get 18/50 = 68 servings if you're using Wilton's chart for square cakes.

lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 9

Maybe just do the top two tiers and cover the cake board and put the shoes and flowers on there

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu

Maybe just do the top two tiers and cover the cake board and put the shoes and flowers on there

That's a great idea, and would be perfect for achieving 55 servings.

One thing to consider... do you like the look of having a short tier as the base with a taller one above? In this case, the gift box top tier looks great as a cube, and I guess the 3" tall (middle) tier would look fine as a base tier. I'm normally not a fan of short squatty single-layer tiers, nor squatty base tiers. I think the base needs to be the tallest or at least as tall as the other tiers, but in this case, I think it would still be aesthetically appealing because it looks at least 3" tall rather than a 2" tall layer.

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 9

I think y'all are right icon_smile.gif and I think taking the bottom teir off would still make it okay, because insted of 'tiers' your really giving a pedastal to the 'gift'.

Thanks for the help!! icon_smile.gif Now, I just have to fiqure out how to explain it to her that she is getting MUCH less cake then this one serves, and in doing so it will be much differnt.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 9

You could also consider making the base tier a dummy cake and then use the top 2 tiers as is. You will still have the basic design but not as much cake.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 9

I do the same thing I always do bigger, but I am getting past that...I dont want to run out of cake or any food....anytime

But, if they want to cut corners, then I am going to start doing what the ask for and pay for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%