Stenciling Black On White

Decorating By momma28 Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 9:32pm by sweettreat101

momma28 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 4

Ok first off let me just say that I HATE to stencil black on white. I know it looks great but my heart stops when I take that first swipe of the offset spatula loaded with black royal icing.

That said, I did a cake for yesterday (its the newest one in my photos) that was black stenciling on white fondant. I think it came out great and am very proud of it but there was a spot on the stenciling on the back of the cake where the black got under the stencil slightly. I am probably the only one that noticed that there was some black in the pattern where it should have been white but I am a perfectionist and it wore on my last nerve. ( I pointed it out to the planner so she could tell the photog not to take pics from that vantage point and she hadnt noticed it until I said something)

In overthinking this, and how to make sure it doesnt happen again, I was thinking of regular wall stenciling. There is a very low tack adhesive that you can put on the back of a wall stencil to prevent bleeding under the edges of the design. Do you think a super light coating of shortening on the back of the stencil would accomplish this and still release well? If you all have any other tricks i'd love to hear those as well.

Thank you in advance icon_smile.gif

3 replies
momma28 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 4

Oh no, no suggestions icon_sad.gif

I have some fondant left from yesterdays cake and some black ri. I think I will cover a dummy and give it a shot...i'll let you know how it goes icon_smile.gif

Of course if anyone comes along with their own suggestion im glad to hear it

idgalpal Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 4

I'm anxious to hear how your test worked out!

sweettreat101 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 4

Me to. I made my brothers wedding cake yesterday and a lady told me to used royal icing on butter cream to give it a cleaner look. NO! It melts. Was a disaster. Had to refrost the side of the cake and smooth and start over with butter cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%