Connecting Two Half Sheets?

Decorating By travmand Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 11:26pm by travmand

travmand Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 12

I am connecting two half sheets in order to make room for my FBCT. Any tips from anyone on how to avoid a crack down the middle due to shifting? Maybe royal icing to connect the two??

11 replies
leily Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 12

i strong board that supports the weight of the cake is all you need. Some people put a layer of buttercream icing between the two, but i just butt them up next to each other.

Echooo3 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 12

I've done it sucessfully and there was no hint of it being two cakes. I just buttercream to join and did a crumb coat on entire cake, then waited a bit and frosted as usual. It's in my photos - the teachers full sheet cake.

cakegrandma Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 12

Make sure you have a strong board to support the cakes evenly. I usually get the thick foam board and cut it to the size I need to fit the cake and box. So I do not have any gap between the two cakes I set one down first and cut the long edge so I take any outside crust off and then lay the second cake on the board and do the same. I put icing down on the board under where both cakes will be so it will hold it them in place, just a swipe of icing with your knife is enough. I then ice with a little more than a crumb coat on the cut edge and slide the other cake right up to it. Then you can just gently push it to the first cake so they join almost seamlessly. I also mak sure the cakes are chilled so handling them is easier if they are large than 9x13. I hope this has helped you and good luck with the cake! thumbs_up.gif
Let us see a picture when you get done.
evelyn

Echooo3 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 12

Good point cakegrandma, your boards have got to be strong. I have 3 or four together for the one that I did. And ditto to pasting the cake to the board.

travmand Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the help! I've been making my cake boards out of foam core. I use three of the thinner ones spray-glued together...which looks to be about an inch thick. Maybe I'll add one more board just to be sure.

Thanks again for the help...I feel much better icon_smile.gif

Cake isn't due until next Saturday....I'll make sure to post then.

travmand Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 12

Worked like a charm!
LL

Echooo3 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 12

Very impressive. Great job!!

tracycakes Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:03am
post #9 of 12

I use mdf for full sheet cakes because cardboard just isn't strong enough.

cakegrandma Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 12

Your cake looks great!!! I hope that all wisdom that was imparted to you helped you out. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif In other words, we can say we were glad to help. thumbs_up.gif
evelyn

Echooo3 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 12

You were concerned about putting the two cakes together. I am more impressed with the logos on the cakes on the top. How in the heck did you do that?

travmand Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 12

All the wisdom was greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

Both the logos were fbct. icon_smile.gif Letters were funky tappits....which was the hardest part of the whole cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%