Cracking Buttercream

Baking By mmlj316 Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 1:37pm by TexasSugar

mmlj316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmlj316 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:34am
post #1 of 17

I am having problems with cracking!! My buttercream looks great to start with and then as it sets it forms small cracks all over like it is to dry. I use indydebbi's buttercream recipe and love it!!! What am I doing wrong?

16 replies
nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:37am
post #2 of 17

Is your support board nder cake too thin???

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 17

Sounds like a support problem to me, too. Use two or three cake boards, or some foam core, or a cake drum so that the cake doesn't bend when you move it.

mmlj316 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 17

Thanks for the suggestion but it isn't the support because I use actual wood that my husband cut for me. Any other ideas?

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 17

I have really been having that problem this summer too....supports can't be the problem for me either...VERY FRUSTRATING!!! Any advice would be great!

ccalvin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccalvin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 17

Do you freeze your cakes?Are your cakes frozen or barley thawed out when you ice them? I had the same problem,being in a hurry I had iced my cakes barley thawed only to see the icing have small cracks after so many hours. Kinda like the ice over the ocean,it cracks and seperates in the warmer seasons.Cakes expand once thawed,causing the icing to seperate.Helped me out !

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 17

It could also be your cakes were not finished "settling" before you put the icing on.

Next time try this, might help........

Once you level, fill your cakes, cover in wrap, get a ceramic tile, fit to size and shape of cake, set tile ontop of covered wrapped cake, let it sit for about 1 -2 hours.
Then cover with cake crumbing, put in fridge to have icing crumb crust coat.
BEFORE you finish with icing, get a straight pin, poke some holes not very many holes in cake to help release any trapped air pockets.

It could also be, it's too warm in the room of where your decorating, too much shortening? Not enough powered sugar? Too much liquid?

HTH

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 17

I have concluded that my issue with cracking BC is the humidity (not a problem during the winter months). Does anyone have any suggestions to out smart Mother Nature?? BTW-I don't have AC!!)

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 17

I "think" if you look up Kitchen Krafts or SugarCrafts or maybe even google it, there is a "stabilizing powder" you can add to your BC recipe.

It helps to hold up the BC in High Humidity weather.

HTH

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 17

I just remembered that my recipe has a bit of cornstarch in it. I purchased name brand cornstarch when it was on sale and I had a coupon. My buttercream was too crusting and I had trouble getting it and keeping as smooth as I used to. I thought it was something I was doing. When I ran out the name brand and went back to the generic, the problem stopped.

Maybe this is your problem, too?

mmlj316 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 17

I was buying the more expensive powdered sugar but recently just bought the Wal-Mart brand which has cornstarch in it! I wonder it that is the problem?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:00pm
post #12 of 17

As far as I know all powder sugar has cornstarch in it. That is what keeps it from getting hard. icon_smile.gif

Indy wouldn't agree, but my suggestion is to add a little more crisco. If it is dry, the crisco will help make it more creamy. You can also use piping gel.

How are you smoothing the icing? And when are the cracks forming?

mmlj316 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 17

I use a bench scraper and then viva to smooth.

TexasSugar Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 17

How long after you ice are you smoothing it? When do you notice the cracks? Before you smooth, during, right after, hours later?

mmlj316 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:38am
post #15 of 17

I notice several hours after I ice.

mmlj316 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:47am
post #16 of 17

Oh I forgot I am always standing on top of it waiting for it to crust! Lol! No patience!!!

TexasSugar Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:37pm
post #17 of 17

Okay well I was thinking that maybe you let it sit too long before smoothing it, but if it doesn't happen until hours after the smoothing then that isn't the issue. Hmmm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%