How To Get The Color Burgundy Frosting And Fondant

Decorating By HIPrincess Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm by hvanaalst

HIPrincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HIPrincess Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #1 of 5

I have tried numerous ways to get maroon and burgundy. I have tried wilton and Americolor, all to no avail. ANYBODY have a sure fire way to get these colors? When I use the burgundy coloring from WIlton and Americolor they just get dark pink, they just don't cross over to the "burgundy" stage no matter how much of the coloring I use. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:16am
post #2 of 5

I prefer to use a bright red....make it nice and dark...and then add bits of brown for maroon and black for burgandy...in TINY amounts until you like the shade. You may have to use a tiny bit of black in maroon too...the black really deepens the red...but you have to just use a very tiny bit at a time. Sometimes I guess maroon has a bit of a purplish shade...in that case you'd want to add just a TEENY hint of blue to the color. Again, use a light touch.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:21am
post #3 of 5

Hiya! I made this cake some time ago to get the color I kneaded together some pre-colored red fondant with chocolate (a bit at a time) I agree the Wilton burgundy isn't a true burgundy.
LL

HIPrincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HIPrincess Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 5

Ohhhh...thank you so much. I will give your great ideas a try. icon_biggrin.gif

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 5

I made a cake last week and I thought the burgundy wilton was going to be close to the color I needed and I would just mix it with brown. It turned out purple. I wrapped it up, put it in the cupboard and figured I would try to use it for something else. I took it out after it had been in there about 5 days and it had darkened to exactly the color I had wanted. Had I known, I would have made it way early.

I had wondered if starting with chocolate fondant would work and then just add red to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%