A Question About Straws To Stack With

Decorating By ladycakes85 Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 4:55am by bmoser24

ladycakes85 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #1 of 15

Ok. I have always used dowels in the past to stack cake, but I have so much trouble cutting them. The more i've heard about straws, the more I've been interested in trying that route. We live in a small town so there aren't asian markets or anything that would have bubble tea straws. I know I can order them, but was thinking about using the straws in a cake this weekend. Well, then I heard about people using milkshake straws. I've been around town at different stores and have only found flexible straws. Grr!

As I was sitting there sulking, I noticed how thick the straw in my Burger King drink was and it got the wheels turning. I don't know the measurements of a milkshake straw to reference, but does anyone who does know if the BK straws are comparable? Then I wondered about Steak n Shake, and whether they would give me some straws icon_wink.gif

What's your thought?

14 replies
aprilblack Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:21am
post #2 of 15

If the BK straws you are talking about are the BK Pipe that specifically comes in the milk shakes, then yes. I just scored a giant bag of those from BK a few weeks back. I asked the manager if I could buy some and he gave me a whole sleeve/package of them.. I told him I loved him forever!! These are actually much stronger and better than the bubble tea straws.. and easier to get rather than ordering them online!

ladycakes85 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 15

Very cool! When I was in college studying elementary education our prof always suggested contacting fast food restaurants for supplies like paper cups, etc but I never thought they actually would be willing. I guess that's what I get for working for tight-wad companies my whole life, haha. But thanks for the info! I'll check into it.

mamawrobin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:49am
post #4 of 15

I used McDonald's straws in the blue and white three tiered cake in my photos icon_lol.gif I couldn't find any milkshake straws locally so I ask if they would sell me a few. The lady gave me a handful. icon_biggrin.gif They are just like the milkshake straws that I order and worked great.

I like to use straws because they're so much easier to cut and they fill up with cake rather than displace cake like wooden dowels do. I've never had a cake to slip or collapase and I always use milkshake straws and cardboard circles for supports.

aprilblack Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:12am
post #5 of 15

I agree mamawrobin.. They are MUCH easier to use.. I have used the wilton hollow dowels and those are a pain to try to cut all the exact same length.

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 15

I had asked about Mcdonalds straws the other day but kinda as a joke- cause I'm in a small town and cant find bubble tea straws anywhere.

Guess I need to go and offer to buy some from them icon_smile.gif SOOO glad to know they are good enough to work !!! saves me a LOAD of worry. I hate using dowells. I have tools to cut with and they are a PITA to cut.

aprilblack Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 15

I have searched around and the special Burker King Pipe Straws..that are used for the extra thick milkshakes is what I use.. They are a little larger than the bubble tea straws and much stronger----not as flimsy. I am not sure about McDonalds.

mamawrobin Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #8 of 15
Originally Posted by aprilblack

I have searched around and the special Burker King Pipe Straws..that are used for the extra thick milkshakes is what I use.. They are a little larger than the bubble tea straws and much stronger----not as flimsy. I am not sure about McDonalds.

I'm not sure how McDonald's straws compare to the ones that you use from Burger King but the tiered cakes in my photos were made using them for support. I've never had any problems with any of my cakes and I always deliver assembled. thumbs_up.gif

aprilblack Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 10:23am
post #9 of 15

thanks mamawrobin.. Im def gonna have to check those out too then!!

Kims_cakes Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:06am
post #10 of 15

I used McDonald's staws on my last cake. Super-easy to cut, and they held up! icon_biggrin.gif

amarilloyankee Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 15

What about Whataburger straws? Those are THICK large straws?

ladycakes85 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #12 of 15

I just successfully stacked and delivered my first straw support cake! icon_smile.gif This one had Steak n Shake straws icon_wink.gif Worked great. I was actually smiling as I was cutting the straws and realizing how much easier this method was going to make my life icon_smile.gif Thanks for the information you guys!

Chris6703 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:51pm
post #13 of 15

Mamawrobin has me hooked on straws for stacking once I read about her success. Hubby thought I was nuts measuring and snipping them to fit. (Culver's are fantastic) I delivered a 3 tier cake 3.5 hr drive with NO problems !. yay ! I need to round up one of my kids to log in all my cake pics, since I am computer illiterate. I learn sooo much from you members here! Thanks !

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:47am
post #14 of 15

icon_biggrin.gif They are so much easier aren't they? I never use anything else. I absolutely HATE cutting wooden dowels.

bmoser24 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:55am
post #15 of 15

I also heard that Starbucks has some thick straws, seasonly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%