Need Help With Rkt Mold Head...

Decorating By crobbins18 Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 1:39pm by Motorhead

crobbins18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crobbins18 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:37am
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone...Im new to CC... and I need a little help...

My son's 1st birthday is in August and I decided I wanted to make his cake. Its going to be a three tier cake with his smash cake being on top. The problem I am having (I am practicing my skills because of course Im new to this) is that wrapped around his cake I want to make a RKT figure of his favorite toy which is the Fisher Price Laugh and Learn puppy. I have already tried make the mold with the RKT and it was solid but somehow when it was all done it looked HORRIBLE!! If you look up the image the mouth is sunken in, so do you do this before or after putting the fondant on...does anyone know how I should even start this out...if anyone has made this type of cake please let know...

THANK YOU!!
LL

2 replies
mandylhyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandylhyatt Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 3

I have never made this puppy (or anything like it for that matter) but I do know when working with RKT you need to do all the molding before you put fondant on...but you are off to the right start...the figure was solid thumbs_up.gif

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 3

this looks fun! i have done some modeling out of RKT, and the previous poster was correct, do all your modeling (cutting, shapping) before you add your fondant. it also helps to remember to make things skinnier than they are, cause once you put the fondant on, things get fat fast. i molded a cat (in my pics) i was happy with it. i did it in stages, body first, arms and tail seperate and head. i couldn't see your pic on the one you created. good luck. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%