Rkt And Sculpting

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 1:16am by pat-a-cakes

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 5

ey guys,

I'm about ready to tear my hair out!! I'm doing my first RKT piece. It's supposed to be a margarita glass. First of all, I made the rkt and they are a sticky mess. I tried using PAM on my hands so it wouldn't stick and I used royal icing to cement it together. I thought it was gonna be pretty easy to sculpt the shape I wanted. NOT....It kept sticking to my hands, then when I finally would get it into place it would fall off when I took my hands away.

Am I missing something??? If you have an ideas for me...PLEEEASE let me know.

Thanks,
Lori

4 replies
pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 5

I have only used RKT to sculpt simple smaller things but I find if I just put water on my hands nothing sticks at all. I just keep wetting them every once in a while and I am able to sculpt no problem. For the glass are using some sort of support for the stem? I would suggest a woden skewer or dowel to shape the RKT around and give it some strength. HTH

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 5

Hey Pat-a-cakes,

Good tip. Thanks, yes I have a dowel rod through the center and it's actually sitting on a little wooden circle. I'm scared to death it's not gonna get hard. I'm planning on covering it with modeling chocolate. I might have gotten in over my head. It's supposed to have a killer whale coming out of it....UGH.

Lori

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 5

LOL, killer whale? Interesting. icon_smile.gif Well, the modeling chocolate will help. Are you putting fondant over it or something? I just read a thread about mixing the modeling chocolate in with the RKT. I just made a cat yesterday and did it this way. It stays together soooo much better! Maybe try that if you still have time. It set up pretty hard. The shape of the glass is going to be kind of difficult to keep together because of it being top heavy, but I think the modeling chocolate will be your best bet. It worked great for me is all I can say. Good luck, hon. BTW I have an order with a margarita glass on wednesday!!!! You know, I was going to try to make it out of sugar. I posted a thread on how to do it, and no one helped me, so I just bought a glass and Im going to pop it on top of the cake and fill it with margarita colored gelatin. icon_smile.gif Good luck. I hope it works out for you!

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:16am
post #5 of 5

Hey don't know if you are still working on this project but I just thought that you might have better luck if you actually make it in 2 pieces. make the stem and bottom separate from the actual glass, that way you can set the glass part on the wide part to dry and harden. Sometimes I have put them in the fridge to get hard, once the marshmallows are cold it's very stiff. You could use a bamboo skewer to attached the 2 pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%