Fondant Always Creases

Decorating By Spectra Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm by Spectra

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 8

So I make the MMF from this site, and it's great, except I always get creases. I'm sure it's me doing something wrong, since I've only made about a dozen fondant cakes, but when I use the Duff fondant it's more pliable, so never creases.

So I'm looking for any advice or tips anyone could give? I'd really appreciate it. The MMF I use does have the 2 tsp of corn syrup.

As well the icing in the middle tends to start to push out, creating a bubble look in the fondant all around the cake. The icing consistency is stiff, that's what I use for the damn, but I do use half real butter, not all shortening. I'm wondering if it's just too thick and thus it's coming out?

Thanks for any advice! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 8

Are you allowing your cakes to settle BEFORE covering with fondant? Also I add powdered sugar to the icing that I use for my dam until I can roll it in my hands. It should be very thick. I level and fill my cakes and wrap in plastic wrap and let them settle for at least 6 hours before crumbcoating and covering with fondant. Cakes are going to settle. If you allow them to do this before they're covered with fondant you'll have better results.

You can add glycerin to your MMF to make it more pliable. Personally I've never had good results with MMF and I have made it several times. I use Michele Foster's Fondant and it is much better than MMF. It costs about the same to make but it's a higher quality fondant and tastes really good. It's the best for taste and workability that I've ever used.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 8

if you are getting that bulge, then you need to let the cake settle, and make sure your dam is not too close to the edge. about half an inch from the edge of the cake works great. I tried the recommended 1/4 inch and it didnt work.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 8

i did a search for michele foster's fondant recipe.. nada... can you post it?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:26am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakesbykitty

i did a search for michele foster's fondant recipe.. nada... can you post it?

I went to recipes and typed "Michele Foster's Fondant in the search box and it popped right up. icon_confused.gif

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 4:07am
post #7 of 8

THANK YOU~ I have no idea why I can't ever find anything with "search" just printed it out!!!

CC'rs are the bomb!

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the replies! After the cakes cool I always wrap them and put the in the fridge for at least 12 hours. I will try adding a lot more icing sugar to the dam and I think the reason I was getting crazy air bubbles is because I wasn't putting enough icing on the cake before the fondant and the fondant wasn't sticking to the side of the cake.

I was pitting like a crumb coat type thickness on the cake, so you definitely could see the cake underneath. I will try that other fondant too, really want to try something more pliable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%