Fixing Fondant

Baking By vaniti716 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 12:27am by vaniti716

vaniti716 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 6

hello every one...i just have one quick there a way to fix fondant after it has gotten shiny and sticky from the humidity???? i have tried adding more powdered sugar but it only work for a sec and the fondant gets shiny and sticky again.

thank you in advance

5 replies
mamawrobin Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 6

Is the fondant already on your cake?

vaniti716 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:50am
post #3 of 6

yes unfortunatly it was already on the was a hot mess......i kept on adding powdered sugar but that only worked for a few seconds.

mamawrobin Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:23am
post #4 of 6

Did you refrigerate your cake?

Marianna46 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:41am
post #5 of 6

I'm not sure I understand - did you take it off the cake and work more powdered sugar into it? I live in a very hot and humid climate and had this problem for a long time. I finally solved it by adding a LOT more powdered sugar (maybe a half cup per pound of fondant, but it depends on the humidity on any given day) and some CMC (about 1 tsp. per pound) to it before I roll it out and put it on a cake. I generally use Satin Ice or FondX, but I do the same thing with home-made fondant (I usually make Michele Foster's fondant when I have to make myself). I never crumb-coat with buttercream, because the moisture melts the fondant. Lately I've been using ganache under the fondant. This is the only way I've gotten my fondant to stop forming elephant skin and sliding off the side of the cake. I knead it with a little crisco before rolling it out, which keeps it from cracking even with the extra powdered sugar. I NEVER refrigerate a fondant-covered cake - I just avoid using any perishable fillings so I won't have to - because when I take it out of the fridge, the condensation is so heavy it melts my fondant. Hope any or all of this helps!

vaniti716 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:27am
post #6 of 6

thank u soo much for the reply...the fondant is already on the cakes when it start sweating like if it has had a work out and gets all sticky.......i add the powdered sugar on the decorated cake and yes i do put it in the fridge because when i leave it out it melts.....i am going to try nt putting it in the fridge next time but like u sd the crumbcoat makes the fondant melt.....i am going to try doing what u sd with the more powdered sugar and crisco and i will try the other filling u said.....thank u sooo much for all of ur help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%