Shall I Use A Ka Or Do It By Hand?

Lounge By KayMc Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm by TexasSugar

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 6

I am planning on diving in and making my own fondant soon. I plan to use Michele Foster's recipe. I had been planning on using my new 6 qt KA to make it, but I just read a post suggesting this was a bad idea due to the possibility of ruining the gears if the fondant gets jammed.

Do most of you make your fondant by hand? How difficult is it? I have decreased upper extremity strength due to 3 herniated cervical disks, and have had surgical reconstruction of both thumbs due to arthritis. I can knead doughs, though, as long as it's not too long or too stiff.

What are your thoughts? Can someone w/ minor decreased arm strength do it by hand? Is my KA up to the task?

5 replies
Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 6

I think you KA will work just fine. I've made Michele Foster's recipe twice now in my KA and it didn't have any problems. As long as you keep your mixer clean it will be ok.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 6

I've never made the MMF on my 6 qt KA but always make my double batch of wholewheat bread with that mixer without any issues. I don't see any reason it should be a problem for the MMF.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 6

Your KA is a much better mixer than my Sunbeam stand mixer and I make Michele Foster's fondant in it without any problems. Before I bought my mixer I did make it by hand. It can be done but I'm saying that if you have a mixer USE it. thumbs_up.gif The recipe will turn out better if you let the mixer do the work for you because it requires alot of kneading as it's making and the mixer can to that much faster and better than you can by hand. icon_smile.gif

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:36am
post #5 of 6

Well, that is good to hear! I really wanted to use my KA for the fondant, but when that one thread mentioned stripping the gears, I started with second thoughts. Thanks for your input!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 6

Keep in mind that MFF isn't going to form into the hard ball of fondant you are use to getting in the package while in the mixer. It will actually be in a thick, but still flowing pile of gloob when you pour/scrap it out of the bowl on to the plastic wrap to let it set up over night. icon_smile.gif

I've done it or a simalar recipe in my 6q several times. In fast last year I was doing at least double recipes of it, several back to back and didn't have a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%