Cake Flour Vs All Purpose

Baking By kimmyg87 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm by LindaF144a

kimmyg87 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 10

Can all purpose flour be substituted in a recipe for cake flour? I googled this and read about the gluten content in the different types of flour. Cake flour is much more expensive and not as available. I'd like to save money but not lose quality. Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

9 replies
lizabu Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 10

Pastry flour creates lighter and fluffier products. For a pie I would always use pastry flour because I like a very light crust. For a cake unless its a sponge I doubt very many people would even notice. Glueten is also caused by mixing so knowing you are using A.P. and taking it easy on the mixing should help balance things out.

Maria925 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 10

I find that cake flour really gives my cakes a nice soft fluffy texture. But you can substitute all purpose with the following per the Joy of Baking:

one cup sifted cake flour can be substituted with 3/4 cup (84 grams) sifted bleached all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons (15 grams) cornstarch.

They have a nice explanation of all the types of flours and their purposes here...

http://www.joyofbaking.com/flour.html

Oh and I wanted to add that I ran out of cake flour and used the substitution and it did work well!

LindaF144a Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyg87

Can all purpose flour be substituted in a recipe for cake flour? I googled this and read about the gluten content in the different types of flour. Cake flour is much more expensive and not as available. I'd like to save money but not loose quality. Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

You can substitute, you have to take out some of the AP flour. The link the other poster put up should give you that amount. Also instead of corn starch, you can substitute potato starch too. Cakelove does that in his book.

I find that AP flour makes for a denser cake though. I am hooked on cake flour ever since I tried it last week. It makes a lighter, fluffier cake that is moister and stays moist for several days. I have a place locally where I can get 6lbs. for $4.50, so it is a bit cheaper for me.

I have read that Gold Medal AP flour is the brand prefered by bakers who make their cakes from scratch. I can't remember where I read that exactly, but it was from more than one source. Seeing how at my local grocer they are all the same price, I used that brand. I don't know if this is true, but this is more for information if you are trying to decide which one. I do know it worked better than the store brand AP flour I was using. I read that those kind of flours are higher in protein, which I believe is true from my own personal experience (at least for my local area, it will vary depending on where you live).

Personally, I would skimp on the other ingredients before I skimp on the flour. Try using the store brand butter (I live in an area that has a Wegmans, and their store brand butter is almost equal in quality to Land o Lakes - good enough for cakes), maybe cheaper eggs from Walmart, BJs, or Cosco, or the cheapest at your local grocer, McCormicks vanilla instead of magadascar, store brand sugar instead of Dominos, etc.

Of course if you have done all this, then it is a mute point!

carmijok Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyg87

Personally, I would skimp on the other ingredients before I skimp on the flour. Try using the store brand butter (I live in an area that has a Wegmans, and their store brand butter is almost equal in quality to Land o Lakes - good enough for cakes), maybe cheaper eggs from Walmart, BJs, or Cosco, or the cheapest at your local grocer, McCormicks vanilla instead of magadascar, store brand sugar instead of Dominos, etc.

Of course if you have done all this, then it is a mute point!

If you change to a store brand sugar just make sure that it's pure cane and not beet sugar. thumbs_up.gif

mightydragon663 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 10

I only use AP flour because of cost and the fact that I can get large quantities of AP flour at Costco, and I can't get cake flour there.

To get my cakes light, and fluffy and tender, I measure by weight and not volume. I also sift the flour with a fine sifter. Finally, I add all of the flour at the same time, after all my wet ingredients are fully incorporated and mix on low speed just until the flour is wet, so as to only minimally develop the glutein. I've not tried adding anything else to my flour. The cake is not quite as light and fluffy as it would be with cake flour, but by not developing the glutein it is pretty close.

Yes, I have used cake flour to make cakes, and I still cannot justify the cost with the possible exception of genoise cakes.

sberryp Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 10

Gold medal is great flour. I use AP flour and my cakes turn out great. I am currently using the recipe from the book cake love.

LindaF144a Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

Gold medal is great flour. I use AP flour and my cakes turn out great. I am currently using the recipe from the book cake love.

I looove Cakelove cakes. I have made several of them. But it wasn't til my son said he liked the cake, but it was dense that got me to thinking. So I checked on the ingredient percentages. Turns out they are pound cakes, which are denser. I tried a couple of other cakes from different books and found ones that were just as tasty, but not as dense. And the lighter cakes use cake flour.

So now it depends on my mood for which one I make. I like either kind. I have a fondness for Cakelove though because that is the first book I used to try scratch cakes.

sberryp Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 10

The butter cakes in the book are very light.

LindaF144a Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

The butter cakes in the book are very light.

Those are the ones I'm talking about. I love them. They are not dense in a bad way, they are dense in a way that is yummy and hard to discern until you bake a cake with cake flour. Then you see the difference. Subtle yet there.

I never get a bad comment on Cakelove cakes. Like I said it depends on my mood on which one I'll make. I'll take his yellow butter cake over any other kind of yellow cake recipe. I have yet to find one that compares. I'm thinking of making it using cake flour just to see if there is a difference between the too. I think you see it more with the chocolate cake and this is because of the cocoa powder. I love his chocolate butter cake, but have since found one that has coffee and some almond extract that gives more depth to the chocolate flavor. I have on my list to make his pound cake with the strawberries in the middle for 4th of July. I cannot wait to make it, it just looks so good in the photo. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%