Agbay Leveler

Decorating By aprilblack Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 3:04am by chefjulie

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 25

OK, I just got my Agbay yesterday and IMMEDIATELY assembled it (which was SO easy) and used it on a cake I had for today and OMG it is the greatest thing ever. If you dont have one you should definitely add it to your list!!

Just wanted to rave about it.. Thanks for listening, April icon_biggrin.gif

24 replies
cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 25

here here, i love mine...

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 25

Worth every penny!! Love mine!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 25

Best invention ever!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 25

I don't have one yet, so I have the obvious question: what makes it better than the large Wilton one? I was thinking of getting the Wilton one, and changing out the blade to a 'real' saw blade. Thoughts?

aprilblack Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 25

its definitely different than the large Wilton one.. and I went to Harbor Freight tools and bought a large sharp hack saw or dry wall saw I think it was thinking I would make my own little leveler and uh...let me tell you, that didnt work so well. I almost completely ruined a 14" layer with that thing!!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 25

I just got mine and love it as well. One thing that makes it different is it's guarenteed food safe. I'm not sure you can say that about Harbor Freighticon_smile.gif the stability, ease of use and measurements make it the worlds easiest and cleanest leveler. I

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 25

Ok where did you get it and is it expensive? I hate my wilton one. It's nearly useless. It cuts crooked most of the time and I can never seem to bend the blade back to where it's supposed to be to get a straight cut. It's just to flimsy. Can you tell me where you got yours? I havent heard of this brand.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 25

Agbay is one of the finest cake tools made. I love mine, would trade in my airbrush, DH, and my right leg before I let go of my Agbay. The differences between Agbay and Wilton? Is like the difference between driving a Ferrari and walking barefoot on sharp gravel.

JCE62108 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Agbay is one of the finest cake tools made. I love mine, would trade in my airbrush, DH, and my right leg before I let go of my Agbay. The differences between Agbay and Wilton? Is like the difference between driving a Ferrari and walking barefoot on sharp gravel.

LOL ok now Im really curious. Im going to have to look this thing up. I love the cake in your avatar, BTW. icon_smile.gif

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:55pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

. Can you tell me where you got yours? I havent heard of this brand.

http://www.agbayproducts.com/products.html

They have several different versions.

DamarisC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DamarisC Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 25

I just bought mine about a month ago and WOW, what a difference, it was around 175$, which is worth it to me. Big time difference! and when ordering the lady was soo nice and informative!

JCE62108 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:00pm
post #13 of 25

Wow. I just saw the photo of it on the website. It looks like it costs that much. I dont know that I could spend that much on a tool to cut cakes with. I mean, my mixer was only $200 and it has moving parts. lol

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:01pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Ok where did you get it and is it expensive? I hate my wilton one. It's nearly useless. It cuts crooked most of the time and I can never seem to bend the blade back to where it's supposed to be to get a straight cut. It's just to flimsy. Can you tell me where you got yours? I havent heard of this brand.

Only one place to get them...

http://www.agbayproducts.com/

Maureen is super nice, her husband makes them. I will be able to hand this tool down to my kids and grandkids someday, it's that good. The only things that bugs me about the Agbay is that I didn't come up with it first.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:50pm
post #15 of 25

Yes it's expensive and yes it's worth it. It took me seconds to level and torte my cakes. Perfect cuts, perfectly level and you can even relevel after you've filled the cake to make sure it's perfect. I wasn't going to get one because of the price but every time I spent more than $20 on anything , I thought 'that $$ could have gone to my agbay'. So I finally broke down and bought it.

aprilblack Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #16 of 25

just call it an investment!! It will save you TONS of time.. that stuff is valuable alone!

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:23am
post #17 of 25

I too had the Wilton large leveler and made do with it but was so tired of it tearing my cakes! I got a used Agbay on eBay and it was / is worth every penny (dollar)! The Agbay just glides through cakes like a hot knife through butter.

I compared having an Agbay to using a hand mixer versus a stand mixer (KA). You could never do a double batch of frosting with a hand mixer but could easily with a KA.

I PROMISE you, it's worth the money and you'll wonder how you ever went without it!! icon_wink.gif

aprilblack Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #18 of 25

ok, I am SOOOO jealous you found one on Ebay..l searched and searched and thats how I knew this thing was just that good when there was absolutely none used for sale..

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:17am
post #19 of 25

I bought the large Wilton leveler, used it once, and threw the piece of junk in the trash!! Just garbage. So I continued using the small one, and coveting the Agbay.

DH bought me my Agbay for Christmas and I can tell you, it is the BEST thing ever. I know it's expensive, but it is seriously worth every SINGLE penny of it!!! It's made the prep before decorating starts and absolute dream!

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:29am
post #20 of 25

I've had mine serveral years now. This is one decision I have never regreted. Expensive yes but your cakes always, always are even and level once you use it. Makes you wonder why you suffer with the wilton one (I had the small one) for so long.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:33am
post #21 of 25

I have a big jar in to which I throw all my spare change..and sometimes bills if I have what seems like "extra" in my wallet, pockets, whatever....When that all adds up....GUESS WHAT I'M BUYING!!!!!!!!!

DessertDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertDreams Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:37am
post #22 of 25

The best tool EVER!!!!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:43am
post #23 of 25

The Agbay is one of those tools that seems like a luxury before you get. Seriously, though, it's just as useful as a stand mixer and will probably last longer!!! You don't NEED a cricut, airbrush, edible image printer, etc. You NEED an Agbay!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:00am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

I knew I wanted an Agbay before reading this but now I'm beginning to think I NEED one. Never mind the DH or the right leg, I would have the hardest time parting with my airbrush icon_lol.gif , and to hear this comparison really got me thinking. I haven't made it a priority besause "it's just a leveler". I also bought and threw away the large wilton (just in case I was tempted to use it again) so I just make do with the small one, but the largest I can level is a 12" and that's a real pain. Heck and I wasted mother's day icon_sad.gif ...

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #25 of 25

Raquel, we should get together again soon- I'll let you use mine!! Seriously, you won't believe how EASY it is!!! Email me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%