Duff's Cake Wire Found At Michael's.....?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 10:19pm by twinkie126

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 8

Any idea what guage this wire is, and what its made of?

Thanky!

7 replies
CiNoRi Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 8

...Or to get a similar size/strength...what would you use? Im looking for an easy to find wire that can hold up fondant balls and glass beads/ stones

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 8

I use 18 gauge floral wire, the kind that is cut into lengths, not wrapped on a spool.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 8

I bought Duff's wires for a cake I just did. The cake was a dense scratch pound cake with butter cream icing & filling. I made 50/50 fondant stars & put wire thru each star & let dry. Held nicely to the wire. When I inserted the wire into the cake, it would not hold up & the wide kept falling until I just gave up & took them out of the cake. Is there a special way to use these wires? Put them in stirring straws, anything? It would have been so cute on the cake & I have seen so many people use them. ANy help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much~~~~~~

twinkie126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkie126 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 8

I used them a couple times and work perfect. I think you are cutting your fondant too thick and they are too heavy. Make them thinner and you won't have problem. They are very expensive to me, sometimes I prefer make my own with regular floral 24 gauge wires.

twinkie126 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 8

I used them a couple times and work perfect. I think you are cutting your fondant too thick and they are too heavy. Make them thinner and you won't have problem. They are very expensive to me, sometimes I prefer make my own with regular floral 24 gauge wires.

CiNoRi Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 8

Twinkie & Texas,

What kind of wire are you using? Aluminum?

I was going to pick up the Duff wires for ease of use....not to bad with a coupon icon_wink.gif

twinkie126 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 8

The Duff's wires are food safe, if you buy a different ones you have to look for food safe kind of.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%