My First Cake Disaster

Decorating By FleurDeCake Updated 5 Jun 2010 , 9:16pm by FleurDeCake

FleurDeCake Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:36am
post #1 of 8

I don't know what happened or why it happened . I did a cake for a friend at work whose grand daughter was having her first dance recital. It's in my photos , the ballet slipper cake. It came out ok, although I had a hard time icing it . when I crumb coated it the cake kept wanting to crumble but I maaged to get the crumb coat and finally iced . But by the time I drove all the way to work ,a 45 minute ride, it had cracked really bad . It was very humid today so I'm guessing that was the culprit . But I have to admit that i really don't know what caused this mess . Don't have a final photo , but if any of you CC'rs could help me figue out why this would happen I sure would appreciate it . I felt so bad .. this little girl is expecting a pretty cake to celebrate her day and she is getting a mess. I was anxious to show my friend as soon as I got to work and to my great dissappointment when I opened the box my heart sank .

7 replies
sillymoo84 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:42am
post #2 of 8

The exact same thing happened to me, the only different was that the cake was spackled and it was a anniversary cake for me, so it didnt make a big difference. For me the problem was that when I spackled the cake I didnt leave it in the fridge for long enough. Also I had taken a short cut re the buttercream.

Feel really sorry for you. I hope your friend was ok about it?

FleurDeCake Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:56am
post #3 of 8

my friend was great about it .. but i still felt so bad for her grand daughter , she is just 5 years old and expecting a pretty cake for her special day .

awatterson Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:44am
post #4 of 8

When you say cracked, do you mean the cake or the icing was cracked?

FleurDeCake Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:59am
post #5 of 8

well , before i left the house i had noticed a small crack in the BC on top of the cake, so i patched it and re-smoothed it, but as i was doing so it seemed that the bc wanted to come off tho i was able to patch it really well . but when i gt to wotk with it it was really cracked badly, the bc and the cake .

awatterson Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:02am
post #6 of 8

I am not sure what happened with the cake, but I know that I used to only use one cake board for my cakes. I would get the icing smooth and then once I would move the cake I would notice that the icing was cracked. Once I started using 2 boards I didn't have any more cracks. After I am done with the cake boards I have then I am just going to get the cake drums. The cake was a pretty cake.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:22am
post #7 of 8

Are you sure you followed your recipe exactly, and was it one that you've used before? If you add too much fat to cake batter, it will be crumbly.

It's always humid where I live but usually that doesn't cause the cake to crack up...I've never had one do that.

I saw the cake in your photos and it was lovely. I'm sure the little girl enjoyed it even if it was a little crumbled.

FleurDeCake Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks fo your input guys, I did use the same recipe that I always use , but when the cake was done i did notice it seemed to have a lot of air bubbles in it . oh well No sense in stressing over it ... just wish I could figure out what went wrong .

Quote by @%username% on %date%