Need Help To Figure Out Support System For This Cake

Decorating By sameera Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 1:46am by Karen421

sameera Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:45am
post #1 of 10

Hi,

I am making a graduation cake for my cousin. And this is the kind of cake I have in mind. It looks very hard and probably is. Can someone please tell me what kind of structural support they used for this cake. I missed that show.

Thanks.
LL

9 replies
mamawrobin Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:48am
post #2 of 10

I don't have a clue but I wanted to say that I just love that cake. I hope to be brave enough to try something like that one of these days. icon_lol.gif

tesso Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:56am
post #3 of 10

I believe doug just answered a post the other day on cakes stacked like that. dang. let me go check and see if I saved the tutorial and I'll post it here for you..

edited to add: YES !! found it.. I knew it was on here very recently. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=583854&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=offset&&start=0

JulieMN Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:57am
post #4 of 10

That is quite a cake!

Doug Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:42am
post #5 of 10

actually pay attention to the answer I gave on page TWO of the thread tesso posted

this is one of those cake challenge cakes (disney - alice in Wonderland?)

and they usually do the PVC pipe type armatures.

so here's my stab at how they did it >>

notes
- there might be a third plate at top of watermelon)
- yes, need that big extension to the side to keep it from toppling over.
LL

sameera Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you guys for your suggestions. What I am most worried about is the water melon. If that is a cake then it must be heavy and a cake that heavy why doesn't it tear apart by it's own weight. If I try to make it I'll put a car (Ford Probe) that my cousin is obsessed with. Or should I just use a sponge cake for the car and no filling inside. hmmm.........

sameera Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

actually pay attention to the answer I gave on page TWO of the thread tesso posted

this is one of those cake challenge cakes (disney - alice in Wonderland?)

and they usually do the PVC pipe type armatures.

so here's my stab at how they did it >>

notes
- there might be a third plate at top of watermelon)
- yes, need that big extension to the side to keep it from toppling over.

Thanks Doug for your quick reply with the possible inside structural diagram. But I am still confused about the plates, I mean we don't see any plates or anything in the original picture, so, did they hid the plates inside the cakes and if they did how is it possible because the watermelon is curved and the plate is obviously flat. Please help me understand.

Doug Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameera

Thanks Doug for your quick reply with the possible inside structural diagram. But I am still confused about the plates, I mean we don't see any plates or anything in the original picture, so, did they hid the plates inside the cakes and if they did how is it possible because the watermelon is curved and the plate is obviously flat. Please help me understand.

plates are sized just like cakeboards -- JUST big enough to fit under cake without showing.

for watermelon -- yep it would be small and the watermelon would be overhanging just like with pillow cakes. As long as the overhang isn't too big it shouldn't be a problem. (and I wonder if watermelon isn't RKT)

sameera Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks again. I don't know if i'll make this cake (I'm having nightmares about this cake). But, I'll let you guys know about the cake I would finally make.

Thank you so much!

Karen421 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:46am
post #10 of 10

I agree with Doug I think the watermelon is probably done out of RKT. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%