I Need Help With Strawberry Filling, Please, Urgent!!!!

Baking By miny Updated 5 Jun 2010 , 5:36am by tesso

miny Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:45am
post #1 of 4

Hi there,
I wanted to make the easy strawberry filling from the recipe section, the one with 16 oz. cream cheese and a strawberry sleeve filling but I couldn't get the filling and bought a some preserves thinking it'll be the same, now I can't get it stiff enough to fill my cake. Can someone share a thickening tip that I can use? I know I can't use corn starch or jello because that has to be boiled and what I have is cream cheese and I really don't want to add PS if there is another option. TIA for your help

3 replies
JanH Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:00am
post #2 of 4

Strawberries N Cream filling recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14819/strawberries-n-cream-filling-2

How much strawberry preserves did you add?

If you added a lot (so that you could taste the strawberry flavor) then the mixture is probably pretty loose. (Ask me how I know.)

Rather than using preserves or sleeved fillings, I prefer Icing Fruit or simply adding a flavored extract in the appropriate flavor which doesn't make the filling so sweet - but that's not much help now.

I don't think there's anything to be done except add sufficient powdered sugar to firm the mixture up - and then add some strawberry extract to get the distinct strawberry flavor back.

I've layered preserves over plain buttercream for a filling, which gives a taste of whatever flavor the preserves are... and when plated, this two layer filling is quite pretty.

FYI, there's a cream cheese (and marshmallow creme) filling that is easy & tasty that lends itself to being layered with preserves or sleeved pastry fillings:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2743/easy-and-tasty-cream-cheese-filling

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

HTH

miny Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:10am
post #3 of 4

Yes, I added a whole jar (1 lb) icon_cry.gif it tastes good but it's not gonna work under fondant icon_mad.gif I can't believe I did this when I don't have any store open to fix it. Thank you so much, I'll use the PS now icon_cry.gif

tesso Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:36am
post #4 of 4

do you by chance have arrowroot? It thickens better than cornstarch and you can add it to the mixture slightly cool before it sets, so you dont have the hot liquid hitting your cream cheese. Use it like you would cornstarch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%