6.4.10 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 5 Jun 2010 , 6:49am by dalis4joe

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #1 of 15

is called to order!

Whos' up?
Whatcha workin' on?

I'm writing to you from the Norweigan Star, cruising in the Pacific Ocean, heading to Seattle. We're headigninto port tomorrow after a week in Alaska!

I'm only going to be on a few minutes, as the connection is SLOW and EXPENSIVE!

But I had to say HI to all you lovelies. Indy called the FNCC to order last week, right?

And I see that I have a lot of questions in my inbox regarding SPS. I'll be home late tomorrow and will get back to everyone, but hopefully someone has answered your questions!

14 replies
leah_s Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #2 of 15

If you haven't been to Alaska you should go. It is beautiful and we had mostly sun and fair weather. All the locals were commenting on how unusual the week was.

As soon as I get home though, it's back to the real world of cakes. FIVE weddings next weekend!! 1 on Friday and 4 on Saturday. Vacay is definitely over!

leah_s Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 15

Oh my, did I get the time zones totally wrong? I thought it was 10:30 EST.

::waves::

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 15

Hey Leah,

I just finished baking a 10" inch cake & a 6" inch cake for my final Wilton Course 3 class on Monday. Going to fill, stack and crumb coat tomorrow and then cover in fondant on Sunday.

Enjoy your cruise!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:38am
post #5 of 15

Wow! Alaska! What an incredible trip you are on! It's the only state I have not visited, so yup, I'm due<G>

I'm dead tired after finishing a 3D Coach handbag and a Wedding Cake. The stupid humidity was up really high today and I just couldn't get the buttercream to crust up right and smooth out so we fought the good fight all day long...I WON! LOL! Now if the deliveries go smoothly tomorrow I'll be happy.

Photos of the handbag are up but the wedding cake will get it's topper tomorrow so I'll take final photos then (took emergency ones for me, of course, already) when it's all presentation ready.

Have a great time Leah! See ya when you get back again!

Cat

leah_s Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:41am
post #6 of 15

logging off now for real. Talk to you guys really soon!!

Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #7 of 15

well my brother just informed me that he is probably going to be getting married in january, so i've been looking up wedding cakes! his girlfriend knows what she wants, he has no clue what he wants!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #8 of 15

An Alaskan cruise! SO jealous! Its the first thing hub and I are gonna do when the last of our kiddos is old enough to find somewhere to stay for two weeks while we take off. haha.

Have fun!

As far as the cake club...I just finished my cake...had some issues but I think its okay now...I hope. Also had to make an extra 8" cake for the customer since I did their filling wrong. *sigh*

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:50am
post #9 of 15

Working on a baby shower cake, but am so exhausted that I'm thinking of going to sleep and getting up very early tomorrow to finish it.

Glad you got to have a vacation, Leah! icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #10 of 15

no caking this week. I have my own baby shower cake to do for next week and should be working on some of the gumpaste pieces but i got in trouble from my BF for being up on my feet (they are swelling really bad this week and my BP is up) so he set me on the couch after our daughter was in bed with oreos, a glass of milk, and the remote. Next time he'll have to give me the laptop too if he wants me to stay there icon_smile.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:08am
post #11 of 15

I'm working on a graduation cake tomorrow. Just making filling tonight.

Awent9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Awent9 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:51am
post #12 of 15

hey everyone!

leah, where did you stop in alaska? i have been there twice myself, once for a week, then a couple years later i stayed a couple months in the summer visiting my sister.. she lives in seward which is a small port town 2 1/2 hours south of anchorage.. i know a lot of cruise ships stop there!

nothing too exciting for cakes, made a 6" chocolate whoopie pie cake just to sell at work, then we had an order for a 12" carrot cake with no nuts... no notes on decoration so i ended up going fairly plain, didn't know if the cake was for a man or woman, just wrote "happy 60th" on it... a bit of a bummer, things are slow here in maine and they really should be picking up!!! i ended up revising the current "bakery order form" because the person who made it could not have been a baker... or good on computer or something because it was very confusing... hopefully i'll get some good input tomorrow and i can finalize it sunday... speaking of which, any tips on setting up a good order form???

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:57am
post #13 of 15

no cake this week thank god. But I am still in the kitchen. I am canning strawberry jam. There is a farm a few miles away and all the fresh strawberries are in !! yeah. And working on my next MMF experiment. icon_twisted.gif and working on the dream cake recipes.. I think I need a language expert to read my own writing. icon_confused.gif

umm leah... i think you could have fit a few us in a suitcase or duffle.. or something.!! icon_lol.gif Glad you are having a good time. Maybe you can post a pic or two.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:03am
post #14 of 15

[quote="leah_s"]If you haven't been to Alaska you should go. It is beautiful and we had mostly sun and fair weather. All the locals were commenting on how unusual the week was.

I agree. My son and his family live in Fairbanks and I visited year before last. It is absolutely beautiful there. I'm planning on flying up again in August thumbs_up.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 6:49am
post #15 of 15

Ok... so it might NOT be Friday night.... but it's Saturday at 2:46 am and I have just finished my cake.... of course for being a procratinator... I ended up having to pull this trick.... But I'm happy to announce that my cake is sitting pretty in the kitchen island and super happy to say... my kitchen is spotless.... I am spent!!! tired but glad to know I don't have a mess to wake up to.... anyways... as a good FB friend says... a little chillaxin' and then off to bed lol.....

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%