Funny Story And Nice Compliment In One.

Baking By tesso Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 12:43pm by mim1106

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #1 of 21

as you guys probably know by now, I dont do cupcakes, except very rarely.

my niece call me asks if i can make some decorated cupcakes for her. after three, "No way", I cave and make them. i decided to make them look like rose bushes, I drop them off..

and a few days later she show up with a blue ribbon. She says," her auntie T, you won first place. I'm like ..uhh huhh?

She is a senior, and is taking a home economics class, the teacher told them they had to enter something in the county fair. So she takes my cupcakes and enters them. Her teacher was like.. wow. I can't believe you did those.. My niece responds.. "I didnt make them, my aunt made them. You distinctly said that we had to ENTER something in the fair. You didnt say we had to MAKE it." She makes me so proud. She got her A and $10 for first place prize, and gave me the ribbon.

Then her teacher asks me to make a dozen cupcakes for her. I DONT DO CUPCAKES!! She begged, I knew her so I said, fine $18 dollars for the dozen. hoping she would say no, ohh too expensive. My niece came over with the money. Her teacher said, i didnt charge enough for such pretty cupcakes and paid me $38 for the dozen. icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif I'm not stupid, Im not going to argue. icon_biggrin.gif I didnt even take a picture of them. I'll see if my niece did with her camera phone.

20 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:57am
post #2 of 21

i guess you do do cupcakes now?

great story!

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:46am
post #3 of 21

Too funny! Your niece is brilliant, and you obviously do awesome cupcakes!

tesso Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:50am
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

i guess you do do cupcakes now?

great story!

NOOOO !!! no more cupcakes .. pleeezzee.. I still hate them. icon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:58am
post #5 of 21

OK tesso, so please share why you hate them? I believe do what you love ...just curious where the hate/hate relationship came from with cuppies...they're just baby cakes in my eyes.

And congrats...I am positive they were worth the $38 icon_smile.gif And congrats on your 1st place in the county fair..that is a riot!

tesso Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:06am
post #6 of 21

Cupcake burn out. I have five nieces and when they were growing up it was one batch of cupcakes after another. I even gave all my cupcake pans away at one point !! Then had to buy more icon_cry.gif my nieces are now into trying their hand at cake decorating (aka.. a post I had about them getting bored and airbrushing each other !!) and their test cake of choice.. cupcakes!! icon_cry.gif I broke down and made them easter cupcakes.. that was my quota for the year..or so i thought. icon_surprised.gif

I would rather make 15 wedding cakes than a batch of 24 cupcakes.

edited to add: my nieces like taking their test cup cakes to school with them, to pass among their friends. They are in high school and I can just imagine all those teens hyped up on cupcakes. icon_twisted.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:13am
post #7 of 21

tesso I agree with you on the cupcakes. icon_razz.gif I absolutely hate doing them.

Congratulations on winning the blue ribbon thumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:29am
post #8 of 21

Ok burnout makes sense. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:41am
post #9 of 21

Funny, I kind of like cupcakes!

I don't care for cookies though, I only do them rarely. And I don't much care to do figures...I can do them, and they look cute, but it sorely tries my patience.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 21

I love the niece's response to the teacher!! icon_lol.gif That's my kind of gal!!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:27am
post #11 of 21

That is a cute story. Your niece had me cracking up...she's pretty smart.

DeeOne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeOne Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:01am
post #12 of 21

LOL. Really cute story and your niece is really smart. I think cupcakes are cute and there are endless possibilities with them

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:49pm
post #13 of 21

Too funny. Something I would totally pull. I can see my niece Penny doing something like that in a few years. She can be sneaky even though she is only 3.

redrosenj99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redrosenj99 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #14 of 21

I just love that story! You made my day! Thank you for sharing it!!!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 21

I love that the niece got the $10 and an A, and you got the ribbon!

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm
post #16 of 21

Tesso...what is the name of your new cupcake business?

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm
post #17 of 21

Ok stop hating on the cupcake people!

I have a feeling that niece of yours is going to be a very successful business person one day - probably a Fortune 500 CEO!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #18 of 21

I love cupcakes--especially the eating part.

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriej

Ok stop hating on the cupcake people!

I have a feeling that niece of yours is going to be a very successful business person one day - probably a Fortune 500 CEO!

I'm sure one day she will be telling Donald T," You're Fired" icon_twisted.gif

what a cute story! thanks for sharing icon_wink.gif

suria_garden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suria_garden Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:02am
post #20 of 21

hi tesso...waiting for ur cuppies pic icon_wink.gif

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:43pm
post #21 of 21

That's hilarious! I bet her teacher will be re-wording the assignment from now on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%