Do You Think Viva Knows About The Viva Paper Towel Method?

Lounge By mbark Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 1:43am by ihavasweet2th

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 15

Just something funny I thought of while watching one of their commercials. I'm sure they never thought their paper towels would be used to smooth buttercream!
icon_rolleyes.gif

14 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:00am
post #2 of 15

I have wondered that too.. then thought.. OMG!! I hope they don't know, or they start making them different then come out with a smooth cake decorator kind and charge double !!!

mbark Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 15

I could totally see that happening, hope it doesn't!

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:13am
post #4 of 15

Yes, I could see that happening. "Viva for Cake" - $5.00 a roll. Let's keep it quiet.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:15am
post #5 of 15

Surely they know. I've been using Viva Towels to smooth my cakes for twenty years plus... my very first Wilton Instructor taught us with Vivas.

mbark Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:16am
post #6 of 15

interesting Win, that was another question I had is how long had this method been around. I wouldn't of guessed that long!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:32am
post #7 of 15

I don't remember if the brand was Viva. But I remember smoothing a 3D football cake with Viva way back in the late 70s to get the football texture. I learned the technique in a cake decorating class.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:36am
post #8 of 15

i,ve been using it for 15 yrs. was taught this way in my wilton classes.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:37am
post #9 of 15

i think that they know for sure. if i'm not mistaken, on the front of the packaging, it says "great for baking." like, who would associate paper towels with baking, except us cakers. clearly, they are marketing to us icon_smile.gif

but i'm with yall...i hope they don't jack up the price, knowing that we'd all pay it!!!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:40am
post #10 of 15

Bakers will have to add a "Viva" charge to their buttercream cakes if the prices go up! lol! They are already more than most brands!

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:23am
post #11 of 15

well now i feel silly because I thought VIVA was a fairly new product....(like in the past 5 years)....lol

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:11am
post #12 of 15

I was taught the Viva method in 1988 in Wilton Course I at JC Penney.
Note: Back then Viva was called Job Squad.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 6:26pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

I was taught the Viva method in 1988 in Wilton Course I at JC Penney.
Note: Back then Viva was called Job Squad.

HOLY COW!!! SugarFrosted, you and I live in different states, but tell the same story. I, too, took my classes in the 80's at JC Penny's!!! Loved my instructor, and yes, forgot they were called JOB SQUAD at the time!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:09am
post #14 of 15

Small world, isn't it, Win? I wonder just how many others here did the same things we did, but in different parts of the world...

Seems strange to think that no matter what we are doing, that someone somewhere else is doing the same thing. But we who are here on CakeCentral are all brought together by our love of all things CAKE! Gotta love the internet for making the world more accessible and smaller every day! Hurray!!

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:43am
post #15 of 15

I was also taught the Viva papertowel method by my Wilton instructor when I took classes at JC Penney in 1987! I have been using it ever since!!

~ihavasweet2th~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%