Ingredient Labels For Off-The Shelf Items...

Business By pammylynn Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm by GypsyQueen

pammylynn Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 6

Just wondering if anyone knows what the law/regulation is in Texas on whether or not I need to have an ingredient label on the cakes I bake, or other sweet items? So far they are on a pre-order basis, but I hope to have off-the shelf items soon.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

5 replies
myslady Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 6

I don't know cause I'm not in Texas. if you are doing this out of your home, I will warn you it's illegal.

Your department of agriculture or health department would know for sure.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that lists the states that allow home bakeries. It may have who to call for your state.

pammylynn Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 6

No, it's not out of my house. I know that's illegal. icon_surprised.gif) I have a friend with a consignment shop and she's letting me use the kitchen there. We've been working for a few weeks now to get it certified.

I will try to get a hold of the health dept then...

GypsyQueen Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 6

Not sure but if you need any labels know let me know. I design packaging labels and business logos. Now this makes me want to check my own state because people I know have home bakeries...I never thought of it as illegal!

loriemoms Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 6

If I sell cut cake and put it in packaging, I have to put an ingredient listing on the package. I wish I knew what to put on it, as I use a commericial cake base to prolong the life of the cake, (and it taste wonderful) Do I have to list all the ingredients in it with the sugar and flour?
I have stayed away from the packaged cake slices because of this...(for reason you don't have to do it with custom cakes or cupcakes in our state)

GypsyQueen Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 6

Oh I see what you mean. I thought you meant just making custom cakes and selling them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%