Help!! Are You Kidding Me!

Decorating By auntmandys Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 6:31am by indydebi

auntmandys Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 15

I am making a 4 tier, wedding cake to be delivered tomorrow. The cake is done. Iced in BC and filled in BC. With 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening in the icing. The bottom 3 tiers are heart shaped with the top a round on a clear plate spiked clear pillars.
I just found out today less than 24 hours before delivery that the reception hall IS NOT AIR CONDITIONED. as I thought it was. If I would have known I would have went with no butter and little liquid to the icing.
I have to deliver at 2:30, the wedding is supposed to be outside the venue at 3:30. Weather permitting. It's supposed to rain and if it does, the wedding MOVES INSIDE. (where I am assembling the cake) It's supposed to be 80 and thunderstorms.
The mother of the groom told me that if I showed them how to assemble (which I can't cause the borders will need piped) that they could keep it in a walk in cooler on site. So now I am worried they will attempt to move the whole cake there after it's assembled. I did mention to "watch" the cake for it dropping or melting because it's cake and not meant to stand the heat. She seemed to have shrugged that off and said that they could open windows and there would be fans in there. (the cake will have fake petals all over it) That the cake would be fine until after they ate.....

The cake is DONE! other than me packing my toolbox and delivering and assembling. Any tips on how to make this go smooth? The icing is thinner than I would have done for an a/c and I didn't plan on refridgerating it. (limited space) Plus if I did wouldn't that make it sweat and increase the risk of melting sooner.
I am just lost and MAD! icon_sad.gif
Please HELP! Thank the Lord I don't do fillings!!!!

14 replies
SPCC Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 15

I say once you have delivered it and assembled take a picture of it and let it be what it is. If they move it it's on them not you. That is just me though.

KayMc Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 15

Yes, take a picture and document the time you were informed that there was no AC in the building. (Now, who in the world has a wedding hall without AC?????????????????????)

tiggy2 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCC

I say once you have delivered it and assembled take a picture of it and let it be what it is. If they move it it's on them not you. That is just me though.

Ditto!!!

carmijok Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 15

Honestly I'd let them put it in the cooler and move it themselves. If they drop it...well...you had nothing to do with it. I just hate the thought of that cake in the heat. Why oh why don't people know how HOT a reception hall can get with a lot of people milling around? We have one venue in town that refuses to turn the air conditioning on until an hour before the reception. this is a BIG hall and when it's hot outside it takes a good 3 or 4 hours to sufficiently cool. We took a cake there once and it started melting while we were setting it up. Big mess.

auntmandys Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Honestly I'd let them put it in the cooler and move it themselves. If they drop it...well...you had nothing to do with it. I just hate the thought of that cake in the heat. Why oh why don't people know how HOT a reception hall can get with a lot of people milling around? We have one venue in town that refuses to turn the air conditioning on until an hour before the reception. this is a BIG hall and when it's hot outside it takes a good 3 or 4 hours to sufficiently cool. We took a cake there once and it started melting while we were setting it up. Big mess.

thank you! I even told her, that with a room full of people the temperature will rise. I am going to set up, take pictures. Have them sign my delivery sheet that says not to move the cake and add to the special instructions, to watch and cut and serve early if needed due to heat and no A/C that should cover my tail, don't ya think?

mamawrobin Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 15

.I'd be worried about the cake being put in a walk-in cooler then taken outside in the heat and humidity. That is going to cause an awful lot of condensation. I'd think it would be better for the cake to be at room tempature before moving it outside. But that's just me.

I would definetely take a photo once the cake is delivered and have them sign something saying that the cake was in perfect condition when you left it.

auntmandys Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 15

and thanks for all the replies! I will keep watching the post in case anyone has anything to add. Thanks so much! It's calmed me down a lot. I am human just a cake decorator not a miracle worker! lol.

auntmandys Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 15

well I delivered it, with the cake table in the center of the room and groomsmen and family running around, arriving for the wedding and moving chairs. Someone knocked my toolbox over 2 or 3 times. I got pics of it assembled and the cake delivery sheet was signed. Here's a pic.

auntmandys Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 15

Well they aren't posting. I will try to upload it under my pics. It's the Lester cake. Thanks.

sweettreat101 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 15

I had a similar problem yesterday but they did have AC. It was still hot and the butter cream started to bubble. I kept smoothing it down with a paper towel but I couldn't take it anymore I left. I told them that the cake had to be kept cool. Lucky for me it was for my brothers wedding. They loved it and that's all that counts.

prterrell Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:13am
post #12 of 15

Who has their wedding in the summer in a non-airconditioned hall? If I were a guest, I would not be staying at the reception for more than fifteen minutes.

Karen421 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:03am
post #13 of 15

The cake turned out very nice!

mamawrobin Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:46am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Who has their wedding in the summer in a non-airconditioned hall? If I were a guest, I would not be staying at the reception for more than fifteen minutes.

I wouldn't have attended the reception if I knew there was no air conditioning. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:31am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I wouldn't have attended the reception if I knew there was no air conditioning. icon_lol.gif

Add my "amen" to this one!

Anyone dumb enough to have a reception in the summertime in a non A/C'd building will pay the price one way or another. Dealing with no-show guests and melting cake are just 2 of the prices being paid.

I adopted this philsophy when I created my "Non Vendor Friendly Facility" list, which was defined as outdoor wedding, no parking right next to the kitchen (ever had to walk a block carrying a van-full of big heavy catering equipment in August? I have! And I will NEVER do it again!), no kitchen or insufficient kitchen facilities, etc. If it was a PITA for me to work there, then there was an extra labor charge. A nice big hefty labor charge. My logic to the bride was "If you're going to pick a stupid place to try to have a reception, then you're going to pay for it!" icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%