Applying Luster Dust - Problem

Decorating By PDXSweetTreats Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 11:37pm by PDXSweetTreats

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 8

I was applying luster dust to some fondant/gumpaste lettering and it didn't go on evenly -- a few letters came out with too much dust on them. I tried to make sure that the individuals pieces were dry (36 hours), so I don't think that's the reason for the uneven application.

I was using a blue luster dust on blue fondant/gumpaste. (I haven't had problems with applying dust to smaller pieces, like rolled roses and such, but these letters were about 2-1/2 inches tall, so it was pretty visible.)

I tried to take off the dust where it went on too heavily, using Everclear and waiting for that to dry. But, it still never went on evenly after that.

Any suggestions or tips to prevent uneven application? TIA -- I really appreciate it!

7 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 8

Maybe a stiffer, dry paint brush. That might loosen up the luster dust and you can spread it around or "sweep" it off.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 8

Or maybe rub over it gently with a dry paper towel.

PDXSweetTreats Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks, DeeD!

Generally, I use the back end of the brush to loosen the powder/dust (make sure there's no dried pieces or globs), then I use a fuller brush to brush the dust on. I tried lightly tapping the letters where it went on too heavily, and then wiping that area with a Q-tip. Still didn't take off the excess. Shouldn't that have worked? Or, is there something else? Thanks, again!

PDXSweetTreats Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 8

Should I have mentioned that in this instance I was applying the dust "dry" -- w/out alcohol, extract, etc.? Does that make a difference in how you brush it on?

I did some additional searches, and came up with this: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-534.html, but it really deals with using the "paint" method, where you mix the dust with alcohol, in case someone else is looking for help with that method.

Again, thanks for any help on this! icon_smile.gif

PDXSweetTreats Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 8

Okay, maybe I've solved my own problems with the application, along with DeeDelightful's generous help. Thanks, Dee! icon_smile.gif

For anyone else who's interested in this topic, here's one more site: http://hanielas.blogspot.com/2010/05/luster-dust.html. The author discusses both dry and liquid application.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 8

Uneven absorption of either powdered sugar/corn starch or Crisco could make the surface unevenly moist/dry/oily which can make the powder adhere patchy. If you used powdered sugar or cornstarch lightly wet the surface with a damp brush and let dry a few minutes before applying. If you use Crisco make sure to apply it evenly on the surface when finished making the letters.

It never will be perfect in application but you will get much better results.

PDXSweetTreats Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks, Sarah! I left the letters to dry on a surface lightly dusted w/cornstarch. Probably, there was some residue on the lettering. I'll definitely make sure the surface areas are "cleared" better next time. Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%