Fondant Cakes With Filling That Needs Refrigeration

Decorating By alycakes Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 7:48pm by alycakes

alycakes Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 5

I have a cake order for a two tier cake. Each tier will be covered in fondant and also have fondant decoration. The filling needs to be kept refrigerated and i've heard that fondant covered cakes should not be put into the fridge. Has anyone had this issue before? Any suggestions on what i should do?

4 replies
zoraya Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 5

I'm hoping some of the experts chime in on this one b/c I'd like to know too. I experimented with a practice cake and left it in the fridge over night and took it out at lunch. It did sweat but I didn't touch it and it looks perfectly fine. Completly dry now and no water marks. But I'd like a professional opinion before I attempt it with a wedding cake in fondant.

leily Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 5

you'll get mixed reviews on this. I think it really comes down to what type of fondant you're using. I have put MMF and Satin Ice in the fridge with great results. But tried it with wilton and no such luck.

As mentioned above if it's humid then it will sweat, DO NOT TOUCH it if it's sweating. Let it dry. if you touch it while it's wet then you'll end up with spots that you can't fix.

zoraya Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks Leily. I am using SI and it did just dry up all on its own. So I guess I'm safe putting the wedding cake in. Main thing is I did not touch it while it came back up to room temp. Thanks!

alycakes Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 5

i use CK product fondant. I'm hoping it will have same results as satin ice so if i dont touch it it wont leave marks. Do you think the decorations on the sides of the cakes will start to come undone? they will just be 'glued' on with a tylose mixture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%