Cakes

Decorating By kissyphers Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 5:06pm by carmijok

kissyphers Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 10

I live around the Tulsa Oklahoma area, I am looking for some place that I can order pre-baked cakes.

I know you can get them at Sam's, but I wondering if there is anywhere else?

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
carmijok Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 10

I live in Tulsa but I don't know where you can get pre-baked cakes...you are talking about undecorated plain cake? I thought about doing that since the baking part can be such a hassle...but it occurred to me that I would be using a probable inferior product to sell or give. Not good if you want to develop a good reputation.
icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 10

GFS (Gordon Food Service). And if GFS sells them, then I'm sure Sysco, McFarling Foods, US Foods, and any other major food distributor would sell them.

I've tasted the GFS cakes (there is a walk-in, open-to-the-public, retail store close to me and they have food samples in the store frequently). The icing on the iced ones taste horrible (but I'm an icing snob!) but the cake itself is pretty good. Tastes NOTHING like a grocery store cake.

mariana7842731 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 10

me too! total icing snob! ganache, and meringue icings are the best. what do you use?

carmijok Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

GFS (Gordon Food Service). And if GFS sells them, then I'm sure Sysco, McFarling Foods, US Foods, and any other major food distributor would sell them.

I've tasted the GFS cakes (there is a walk-in, open-to-the-public, retail store close to me and they have food samples in the store frequently). The icing on the iced ones taste horrible (but I'm an icing snob!) but the cake itself is pretty good. Tastes NOTHING like a grocery store cake.

You can't buy them as an individual can you? I mean wouldn't it have to be a quantity buy and you have to be a business don't you? I am but a humble beginner that enjoys doing this for friends...and occasional friends of friends. And yeah...the icing is what I am a BIG snob about as well.

indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 10

If you hvae a GFS retail store near you, you can walk in and buy off of the shelf, one or a case. You can order items (usually by the case).

cakemom42 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 10

You could try another baker & make an arrangemnet w/them just for the cake uniced & undecorated... I know someone who does this. At first I was shocked but then realized "Hey if it works"...... :0)

mkolmar Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 10

AGGGG. Back away from the GFS cakes. They are horrid. Seriously, I'm not kidding. The pre-made ones stink as well as their mixes. They have the worst of all the big name mixes out on the market to buy.
I bake mainly from scratch but they do have GFS mixes at work also. My famous saying at work is "If death had a flavor it would be a GFS cake mix." Can you tell I really hate their cake products they offer? icon_lol.gif I thought it use to be just me who hated them, but the residence where I work dislike them also.

If you really want to have some pre-made then look into another baker that you like. You could ask different food suppliers also what they offer and if they would be willing to give you a sample or if you could buy one.

indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:19am
post #9 of 10

mkolmar, I totally agree on the GFS cake mixes! Those ARE nasty!

carmijok Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 10

You know when all is said in done, I suppose a pre-made cake from someone would be OK...especially if you were in a pinch...but the bottom line is, I'd rather be responsible for the quality of the total product. Not to mention the cost of purchasing a ready made cake as opposed to making it yourself. Granted, the headaches and mistakes that can happen in baking would be lessened...but I just like it when someone raves about my cake and knowing I did it all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%