Oops! Lol

Decorating By mykidscakemaker Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm by mykidscakemaker

mykidscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidscakemaker Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 10

I'm working away today, making a Tigger cake. I was in the middle of tinting some fondant black when I realized that my hands were stained... which happens all the time, and I am well aware that it's going to happen. I occasionally wear gloves, but prefer to use my bare hands...

However, what I forgot to remember ahead of time was that we are having family photos taken tomorrow!!! OOPS! My hands are PURPLE!! Here's to hoping I can get it off before then! I guess I'm on dish duty for the next 24 hours!

Just had to share with people who would really understand icon_smile.gif

9 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 10

Neat bleach does the trick! Just rinse REALLY well after.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 10

When I do that I usually have a sink half full of water with a few tablespoons of bleach in it and dip my hands in the warm water and rub. It takes a few times to get it all off but alternating between soap, rinse and dipping it comes off in no time.

sexy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexy_baker Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, putting your stained hands on bleached water and alternating it with soap scrubbing will do wonders! CNCA is right on that.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 10

If you coat your hands lightly with shortening first, the color won't stain. It will look like it is, but when you wash with soap and water, it comes right off!

Sorry, I know this doesn't help you today, but in the future maybe...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 10

Try some hand sanatizer. One of my students reported back to me that that helped. I also think washing dishes really helps take the colors off.

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 10

I did this just last week with navy. I used Shout (for laundry) worked great. I just sprayed my hands and then washed with soap. Awesome.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 10

You know what? You should do a vintage family photo! A nice dress, some dainty white wrist length gloves... *wink wink* Wouldn't that be precious? icon_lol.gif I normally show my stained hands as a source of pride in my art, but yah, family pictures are a different story! Best of luck!

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 10

The last time I made black fondant I was working with MMF so I added the color to the melted marshmallows rather than the kneaded fondant. It looked like I was pouring tar out on my counter, but my hands didn't get stained at all.

mykidscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidscakemaker Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

You know what? You should do a vintage family photo! A nice dress, some dainty white wrist length gloves... *wink wink* Wouldn't that be precious? icon_lol.gif

LOL!!! That would have been hilarious!! I was picturing a lot of "Why are your hands behind your back" comments!! And yeah... normally, I love my stained hands, and take a lot of pride in them... but not so much this time!

Thanks for the tip about the bleach in the water! I've toned down to just a dull pink now! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%