Any Ideas On How To Generate More Business/cake Orders?

Business By YummyChoo Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 12:53pm by mombabytiger

YummyChoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyChoo Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone, does anyone have any ideas on how to generate more business and get more cake orders? Its gone a little bit quiet at the moment and trying to be proactive!

14 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #2 of 15

advertise - go to businesses and introduce yourself, take samples, let them know you exist, have a open house for people to stop by and sample your products, send something in with a family member to work, facebook, twitter, etc

HTH

FlourChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourChick Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:51am
post #3 of 15

I have to agree with getting on facebook. We've gotten several orders from FB just by having a biz page on there. We also got orders from putting bite sized samples into lidded cups and dropping them off at neighborhood hair salons and boutiques.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:17am
post #4 of 15

Are you licensed? If you are... then bake a cake or two.. take them down to a local radio station and give them to them icon_biggrin.gif They cant seem to resist talking on air about good food that is brought to them. thumbs_up.gif

second best advertisement: Call your local library, find out when they are having story time parties. Most libraries have to pay a discounted price for their cakes. You tell them you will donate a cake for their party. Drop the cake off, grab a book, sit and read.. and watch ALL those mommies and daddies freak over the cake and exclaim how they just have to have that SPECIAL made cake for their child... and not to be out done by susie-Q, little Marks mommy has to have a special cake for her son's party too... make sure you take your date book !!! icon_twisted.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

It may sound evil and diabolical.. to play the parents off on each other.. but they are the ones wanting to out do each other. YOu just have to make the cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 15

Ohhh....I love the radio station idea!! I have had good luck with samples in lidded cups (I place a label on it with biz name and contact info) to salons but mostly to a party supply/rental store!

Cake-O-Rate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-O-Rate Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #6 of 15

Tons of ways to drum up new business.

Do a search on google to find Wedding Planners in your area. Wedding Planners are always looking for the best they can find for their clients. Cupcakes have become extremely popular for weddings and of course the profit is pretty sweet on them.

Invite the wedding planners to your shop or bring them your samples. icon_biggrin.gif

I love the suggestion on the radio stations as well.

You can also talk to wedding dress shops and ask them if you can leave your brochure in their shop and visa versa...

Much success to you!

YummyChoo Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:27am
post #7 of 15

great ideas guys!! keep them coming! I am getting in touch with all the wedding suppliers in my local area, free samples are a good idea too!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:30am
post #8 of 15

Have a special. Advertise on your web site or face book page or your store that if they order a cake by such and such date, they get a discount or a free smash cake or something like that. I often have wedding cake sales where they get free delivery if they order by a certain date. Even if it isnt much, people love a bargain!

sugarspice Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:17am
post #9 of 15

I just got a call today requesting pricing from a woman who tasted a sample of my cake at a hair salon.
She said "I love the taste of your cake & I want the cake to be from you". I have found that if they taste it, then they want it. Otherwise-they call to check price and the order rate is lower as they are just looking at numbers.
I just do a single layer cake, cut into 1.5" cubes-filled/iced and pop them into the portion cups with a label. Can get a bunch out of a 9x13 cake...
If they taste it, the orders will come thumbs_up.gif

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #10 of 15

sugarnspice, do you fill the squares as you would a cupcake? I love this idea .

sugarspice Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:11am
post #11 of 15

Sorry-I didn't see the question right away! I bake a square or 9x13-they are a 2" layer. Then I torte it, fill it, ice it and cut into little squares. It is wonderful for a snapshot of the flavor combos. Otherwise, I wasn't selling many filled cakes. I don't make an icing dam as it isn't necessary-the sides are not iced. The icing isn't a real thick layer either-or the piece is too tall to fit into the 4oz jello shot cup

YummyChoo Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 15

do you just approach the businesses with your cake samples? or do you contact them before hand?

nikkig192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkig192 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 15

I send out a standard email and then I contact them by phone within 5 days after my email is sent.

sugarspice Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:11pm
post #14 of 15

I have had good luck with just walking in with them and asking for a manager/owner-I get their permission to leave the samples and my cards. I leave them in something disposable-I use a small carboard box, cut down to size and covered in contact paper. People love food-esp. sweets!

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:53pm
post #15 of 15

The radio station idea is a great one. I dropped off some cupcakes with our local station and they talked about them all day! Referred to them as "works of art"! And they mentioned my business name for hours. Unfortunately, they didn't give contact info, but....it was fun to listen to!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%