Cooking Illustrated Cupcake Article

Baking By LindaF144a Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 4:12am by denetteb

LindaF144a Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 2

In this month's issue of Cooks Illustrated (on the new stand now), there is an article about cupcakes. They sent for cupcakes from around the country. They talked about the results of taste and mentioned a little blurb about how they are shipped (seems some of them send the cupcake unfrosted - for all you wondering how to ship these beggers).

It's an interesting article. Seems that the cupcakes were big on hype and look and little on taste and moistness.

Go check it out and then come back here. I would love to talk about it some more.

1 reply
denetteb Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:12am
post #2 of 2

I read it a while back at a Barnes and Noble. I am sure lots of people buy based on the reputation or notoriety rather than taste. Charm City cakes is a perfect example. When I was in NYC I loved wandering around and going into these fancy cupcake shops and watching them put their trademark frosting technique on top. Out of my budget to pay $3 plus for a cupcake but it was fun to watch. Ok, so I got a little off topic here but it was interesting to read Cooks Illustrated review of these "famous" cupcakes. And paying big bucks to buy and ship a cupcake and not even have the icing on top???? Why bother?! I loved a trend I read about of icing shooters. A little shot of straight frosting, that is more my thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%