How Do You Think These Dogwood Flowers And Leaves Were Done?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 5 Jun 2010 , 1:00am by LindaF144a

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiocake/3499248222/in/faves-40152129@N06/

this is a studiocake; i love her designs!

do you think a large rose leaf cutter was used for the flower petals?
how about the leaves? i cannot seem to find a leaf cutter with this shape.
do they look more like fondant that gumpaste?
lastly, do you think the petals are just "glued" together at their tips with nothing on the back? i woud be worried they would be weak at the center.

i am still a gumpaste flower newbie though i so don't wanna be a newbie, lol. any help you can send my way would be greatly appreciated!

thank you ,
diane

7 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGx8u5YPiJ8&feature=channel

This is a video tutorial where she uses a Wilton 5 petal cutter to make the dogwood.
There are lots of tutorials in the How Do I forum section
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654803.html

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 8

thank you diane, but i know how to do the dogwood with the one piece cutter (one of the very few i do know, lol. i learned from all the great tutorials, i am so thankful for people who share their knowlege!).

what i am needing help with is doing it with four individual petals like studio cake did. i have not done this type of dogwood yet and so far i cannot find anything to help. i also cannot figure out what she used for a leaf.

thank you!
diane

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 8

Looks like she used a rose petal cutter or a round cutter and pinched the ends. I would gather that a modelling tool or paintbrush to make the indentation at the top of each petal.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 8

Do you really think that the petals are individual?

I looked at several different tutorials for a dogwood and they all used a 4 or 5 petal cutter. The 4 petal cutter they used was specifically for the dogwood.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/DogwoodCake/DogwoodCake.htm
Here is a link to a 4 petal cutter tutorial

A single petal method could be adapted using a tear drop shape and it could be held together with gum glue.

Sorry if this doesn't help

Gingi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingi Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 8

The dogwood petals looked 'glued' together individual petals. They do not look wired. I personally pinch the tips of the petal with a Dresden or a Needle tool and lift up the tip a bit also. Put a bit of fiberfill underneath to hold it up. Yes, it seems a rose or teardrop shaped cutter was used. The dogwood looks unusually large also. I think they should be more delicate looking. Looks like fondant was used instead of gumpaste. Fondant seems to droop more than gumpaste which is more rigid and holds leaf and petal shapes much better.

There are many websites that will sell you the leaf veiner used. Cakes by Design has a Sunflower veiner that looks just the same as the veins in the leaf of photo you shared. Also, Squires has a dogwood cutter you may like with the indentation cut out for you. If you surf the net I am sure you will find many other vendors that have what you need. Also, don't neglect to try Creative Cutters as they varied sizes of the Dogwood cutter.

Hope this helps...

sexy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexy_baker Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 8

Hi! I dunno if this is the material you needed but I hope this helps you.

The petals aren't individual in that video but only a 4 petal cutter was used. I think dsilvest is right by saying that the petals were just glued together with gum glue if those were indeed individual petals.

Goodluck on that quest! icon_biggrin.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:00am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiocake/3499248222/in/faves-40152129@N06/

this is a studiocake; i love her designs!

do you think a large rose leaf cutter was used for the flower petals?
how about the leaves? i cannot seem to find a leaf cutter with this shape.
do they look more like fondant that gumpaste?
lastly, do you think the petals are just "glued" together at their tips with nothing on the back? i woud be worried they would be weak at the center.

i am still a gumpaste flower newbie though i so don't wanna be a newbie, lol. any help you can send my way would be greatly appreciated!

thank you ,
diane

Have you thought to ask the person who posted the photo? I know she is a member here on cake central because her Go Dog Go cake I recognize. Her name her is BlueMoonCakes. She has a facebook page also. She may share her technique with you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%